ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Dual operating systems 32- and 64-bit. Need advice on possible XP memory issues

<< < (4/4)

cranioscopical:
FORGET anything about 8800 cards and passive cooling. 9x00 cards are supposedly a lot better-f0dder
--- End quote ---
That's helpful to know.  Thanks for the response. 

The point about the two cards I quoted is that they are NOT passively cooled -- each has a fan in addition to a fair-sized heat sink.  It looks as though that combination runs the 9600GT OCX at around 60C while under sustained load. 
fan/sink

I don't really care about fan noise when the system's under load.  When it's under load I'm working with it anyway, not just in the same room trying to read a book or whatever.  I really don't want to hear a machine when it's either idling or running only moderate background stuff.

I'm not joking when I say I believe I could fry bacon on it.-f0dder
--- End quote ---
With your help I'll try to ensure that my choices become no rasher.

[edit -- can't spell]

Darwin:
I'm not joking when I say I believe I could fry bacon on it.-f0dder
--- End quote ---
With your help I'll try to ensure that my choices become no rasher.-cranioscopical (July 29, 2008, 12:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Lashiec:
Well, it's all in the review you linked before. The ThermoIntelligence coolers got good press in the various reviews I saw them being evaluated, not only for the low temps, but also for low noise, even under load. Hardware Canucks is a fairly trustable site (or used to be the last time I checked it out), so I guess both cards are adequate for your needs, unless you are really picky about noise. If that's the situation, I'll suggest you pay a visit to SPCR to find something you like, and have the absolute confidence that the card you'll choose will be silent (mmm, turns out some assemblers are still selling passively cooled GPUs).

If you're not that picky, it's a matter of choosing between cooler operation and lower performance (9600), or higher temperature, and some more oomph (8800). In any case, both are good choices, unless you are in the bleeding edge of gaming, where the 8800 could be a bit more future proof.

cranioscopical:
Thanks for the input, Lashiec!

And thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

It's been extremely helpful to me, especially at a time when I'm meant to be concentrating on other issues than computers.
Excellent advice all round, and all from people whose judgment can be trusted.  For what more could one hope?

As for the card, I think I'm going to walk a safe path and opt for a BFG 9600GT OCX.

After all, a video card is a quick, easy, and relatively cheap item to swap.
In six months to a year who knows what'll be available at bargain prices?

I'll leave 64-bit Windows aside for now. 
Probably the box on which to play with 64-bit is the one that's about to become my principal redundant machine.

cranioscopical:
Picked up the new box today.
Seems fine so far.
Opted for 32-bit XP for now.
Runs very cool and quiet.

Murphy dropped in to ensure that the new machine's arrival coincides with a tidal wave of business and a (so far) 30-hour email outage from ISP.
In spare (hah!) moments I'm ebarking on the somewhat daunting task of setting up the system from scratch.
That's always a dichotomy: tedium/frustration on one side, the good chance to improve on the other.

Thanks to all for your help, it saved me a lot of time!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version