ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I figured something out about Apple's device restrictions: file management.

<< < (3/7) > >>

Target:
We shall see.  As I said previously, my prediction is the opposite.  We can look to this thread to see who was right! :Thmbsup:
I don't see how Apple will be able to grow at the rate they are currently growing at without making some concessions.  I think if they become MORE restrictive, as you say, they will fail AND there's no way the userbase grows at this rate.-superboyac (December 08, 2010, 08:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

could well be, after all, what do I know - having said that, I'm sure that the exact same predictions were being made years ago, and they've succeeded against all expectations, with a product range that looks spiffy, but offers limited functionality (huh, that sounds a bit like my resume...)

nosh:
I fully understand restrictions on system files. But their restrictions on data files are a pain, to put it mildly.

If I want to transfer a pdf file to the ipad I have to rely on whatever method the 3rd party app I'm using has devised to accomplish this. I have tried several apps - they all seem to have devised their own methods for transferring files and most of them feel like backdoors/hacks that Apple has grudgingly allowed. I don't see how this makes for a good UI.

What's more, if I've imported a file to the device using app-A and now need to work on it with app-B, I need to import it all over again. Once again, not so much a good UI as a big f*** you to the users to safeguard Apple's intere$ts.

SKA:
Rixstep has utilities that give you much better control of files etc on Mac.

http://rixstep.com/4/0/xfsystem/

Expensive, but guess these are unique in themselves

SKA

Stoic Joker:
I have tried several apps - they all seem to have devised their own methods for transferring files and most of them feel like backdoors/hacks that Apple has grudgingly allowed. I don't see how this makes for a good UI.-nosh (December 08, 2010, 10:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Funny, but I remember reading a review of the iPad (fruit pad) just after it came out that vilified it for just that reason. User experience was hampered greatly by the medley of horribly inconsistent interfaces found in the myriad of apps. There is no consistently structured file open menu or system of/for controls, everything is just helter skelter with artsy fartsy buttons and other controls making it impossible to find or operate anything new quickly.

Don't Panic - Apple is in control - This is going to take a while... So look pretty colors OOOooooooooo...
Squirrel!

4wd:
And on a Mac all roads lead no where and are unidirectional ... and that's the "wave-of-the-FUture".-Stoic Joker (December 08, 2010, 06:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Freudian typo slip?

:P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version