ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A fork in the road - dangers of web services

<< < (5/5)

40hz:
...old man is obviously living in the dinosaur age of business, I think? :p
-Paul Keith (November 26, 2008, 04:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. I heard that said about the "New Economy" too during the dot.boom years. ;)

But in the end there really wasn't any new economy, because the age old formula: "revenues minus expenses equals profits" is just as true as it ever was. And we can read the Chapter 11 filings of all those "new economy" ventures until we go blind if we don't believe it.

So, if the current Western idea of "business innovation" boils down to finding a way to become a big enough thorn in some corporate lion's paw in order to be bought out by same...well...we'd better start brushing up on our Mandarin and Hindi. Because there are some new players in the global economy that haven't forgotten what being in business means.
 8)

Paul Keith:
Not business innovation 40hz, business "start ups" as in you start, you go up and there's your business. :p

I'm ignorant of the New Economy phase since I really wasn't exposed to web services until the Web 2.0 marketing hype but wasn't the dot.boom years primarily composed of unmarketable ugly looking geo-cities and it's myriads of portals as opposed to the more "hip" induced, marketing phase of today where the demands outweigh the supply? 

justice:
Interesting post 40hz!
When you think about which web services are you paying for now and how many can you do without? The answer for most (and me) will be: none and all (if there was any). The don't know how they could convince me of paying for something I don't have (my data in a reusable format), and this topic is evidence of trying to convert me to the second part (via lock in).

Seems like the only way to make money on this is a free version for the individual and a commercial one for organisations, for which ownership of their data is even more important.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version