ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows vs. Mac: I'm starting to change.

<< < (30/48) > >>

Darwin:
1st thing that goes-memory-can't think of the 2nd....
-cmpm (October 14, 2009, 11:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

;D Once your memory goes, you can just forget it.

Innuendo:
Neither the 9400M or the 9600M GT on the MacBook Pro are anywhere *near* "top end". The dell has a ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4670 which should be fairly decent - comparable at the least.-JavaJones (October 14, 2009, 01:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was going to post the exact same thing, but to be fair that's not an Apple-only experience. Most laptops in general do not have top-end graphics capabilities.

Innuendo:
I can install MS windows on a Mac.
I can't install Mac on a Computer built for MS windows.
So you say it's apple's fault.
I don't really know.
If hackers can do it, certainly ms can.-cmpm (October 14, 2009, 07:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

To understand the reasons of why you can't install Apple's OS on a computer built for Windows you have to understand the process. Apple, just like every other computer manufacturer, specs out and designs the motherboard that goes into their computers. The key difference between a motherboard made for an Apple computer and one made for any Windows PC is that Apple has a custom-made chip integrated into the motherboard that is exclusive to Apple & no other PC manufacturer has access to.

When you go to try to install Apple's OS one of the first things it does is check to make sure that custom chip is present on the motherboard & everything is legit. If the OS installer isn't able to detect that chip then the OS will not be able to be installed.

Apple is the only one legally allowed to make this chip and they won't sell it to any other computer manufacturer. Now with the situation being the way it is the only way to install an Apple OS on a non-Apple computer is to either clone the chip and include it on a motherboard which would be costly and illegal or to hack the Apple OS to remove detection for the custom chip which is also illegal.

I hope this explanation helps you see that through this custom chip Apple controls what kind of hardware you can install their OS on & they don't want anyone to be able to install it on any hardware they aren't making a profit on.

Hope this helps.

wraith808:
Neither the 9400M or the 9600M GT on the MacBook Pro are anywhere *near* "top end". The dell has a ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4670 which should be fairly decent - comparable at the least.-JavaJones (October 14, 2009, 01:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was going to post the exact same thing, but to be fair that's not an Apple-only experience. Most laptops in general do not have top-end graphics capabilities.
-Innuendo (October 15, 2009, 02:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

And my point on the video card is that really only matters if you're looking at gaming.  I have a gaming box- I'm buying this for work and to do iPhone stuff.  Doing that, the 9600 pushes enough pixels to be at a good enough for the use level... most of the apps that I'm going to use are going to be at the 3DMark01 levels of advanced graphics use...  Macs aren't really for gaming, so you buy the tool for what you're looking to do...

Innuendo:
And my point on the video card is that really only matters if you're looking at gaming.  I have a gaming box- I'm buying this for work and to do iPhone stuff.  Doing that, the 9600 pushes enough pixels to be at a good enough for the use level... most of the apps that I'm going to use are going to be at the 3DMark01 levels of advanced graphics use...  Macs aren't really for gaming, so you buy the tool for what you're looking to do...
-wraith808 (October 15, 2009, 03:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

And I agree with everything you just said. My only issue was someone (was it you?) said that the 9600 was a top end graphics card. It's not. It's a very capable solution for a large percentage of people and uses, but it's not a top end solution.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version