ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Bear Bottoms Freeware: A very nice high-quality software site

<< < (9/12) > >>

Franklin2:
People are getting pretty antagonistic on this thread -- can i remind the DC regulars that the way we demonstrate tolerance and good manors here, is by acting respectful and showing by example how we expect people to behave, not by going on attack.
-mouser (December 14, 2008, 10:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Very true.  Nevertheless the following does sound like a threat, doesn't it?

I own several companies that use contract coders, all of us are familiar with DC, it's fine reputation. I hate seeing it besmirched by association with slime.
-Silverstein (December 14, 2008, 06:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I find that statement to be rather interesting. In order for DC to be besmirched, somebody would need to do the besmirching.

etc

-40hz (December 15, 2008, 12:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hello 40hz.  I have read the statement which you refer to in a very different way than you have done.

(a) You've seen it as a threat and inferred that it means DC will be besmirched.

(b) I read it as saying DC has been besmirched on account of carrying postings eulogising the web site of a cocaine smuggler like Bear Bottoms and his flakey freeware recommendations.

Mr Silverstein appears to say DC is known to many of his associates as a fine site and he hates to see DC's image become reduced on account of posts like the ones at the start of this thread.  I don't see any threat in that at all.  Maybe Ari's passion about these matters has led you to feel you're under attack but I don't think it is like that at all.

Hope you see what I mean.

regards
Franklin

Franklin2:
Guys, please heed Deozans advice (don't feed the trolls!!)

There are 2 posters on ACF who are most prolific in their posts against (and about) BearBottoms purported activities and various character flaws and Franklin is one of them.  FYI he is permanently killfiled as I have never seen a worthwhile post from him (plenty of trash talk though)

FWIW, I've been a long time lurker in ACF and can't say as I've ever seen a post from Silverstein. 
-Target (December 15, 2008, 12:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hello Target. 

Your suggestion to be a long time lurker in alt.comp.freeware strikes me as a little unexpected because Ari Silverstein has made very many posts and they are typically unmissable.  Google Groups lists over 1,000 posts by him to that newsgroup using just one of his email addresses.

Your hostility towards me is, I would guess, likely to be based on some historic observation you made long ago because other comments in your posting don't really suggest you have been a regular lurker in alt.comp.freeware.  I have made very many posts there about freeware and a search of Google Groups shows that.  Of course there are many posts there by me which are not to do with freeware and it may be those which you find have distracted you from your wish to read only about freeware.

I don't seek to make a personal attack on you and I suggest it's probably not useful to use the hospitality extended by DC forums to make unsubstantiated personal attacks on people like myself.  Let's stick to the facts and let's stick to software. 

It is the flaky and misleading software recommendations Bear Bottoms makes in alt.comp.freeware which have led a number of individuals there to consider the recommendations on his freeware site to be unreliable.  Posters have said exactly that as Google will confirm. 

Mr Bottoms happens to be keenly supported by a few posters such as Hummingbird and Me.Here (along with their sockpuppets) because they share his wish to take over the Pricelessware freeware web site and to ban discussion of Pricelessware recommendations from alt.comp.freeware.  I think you will find the vast majority of posters to alt.comp.freeware would consider the prospect of Mr Bottoms running Pricelessware or determining what is  posted to alt.comp.freeware to be a distasteful one.

I hope that helps get things back on topic and in perspective.

regards
Franklin

CWuestefeld:
Considering your interest in government coverups, and the quality of individuals who have worked for them

http://www.thewuestefelds.com/blog/

I find your post to lock hard to imagine.
-Silverstein (December 14, 2008, 07:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Which underscores the fact that your argument has nothing to do with the topic of this board, computer software, but is a personal vendetta. My personal blog is my personal stage, where I can say what I want, having no bearing on my discussion here and elsewhere.

I suggest that (a) you do the same without invading others' communities, and (b) leave peoples' personal lives out of this while you're here, and focus on the topic at hand. You're likely to encounter much less animosity.

It is the flaky and misleading software recommendations Bear Bottoms makes in alt.comp.freeware which have led a number of individuals there to consider the recommendations on his freeware site to be unreliable.
-Franklin2 (December 15, 2008, 05:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

With all due respect, that is not the argument that was brought here. That was
you will know about William "Bear Bottoms" and his cocaine smuggling background, the murder of his BIL Barry Seals.
--- End quote ---

Which has no bearing on software, and as 40hz has suggested, is a topic better handled by the authorities.

If Silverstein's post said "this is a crappy site, the recommendations are bad", then you would have been greeted with intelligent discussion and perhaps agreement.

y0himba:
Only request I would have is that he implement a "What's New" or "New Additions" page for easier perusal. 

As for the rest of it.  Let this Bear guy come speak for himself.

----------------
Now playing: Justin Timberlake - Dance 2 Night (feat. Madonna)

CWuestefeld:
It's nothing new for even the computer software greats to engage in socially-unacceptable behavior. The great Alan Turing was arrested for his then-illegal sexual proclivities, and later killed himself because he couldn't stand to bear his deviance. That in no way detracts from the awesome contributions that he made to the field of computing, and indeed to mankind as a whole.

I point this out not to absolve anyone of anything. It's to show that one's personal life is entirely distinct from the contributions one makes. Go ahead and crucify Turing and anyone else whose behavior you disdain, but do it elsewhere. The topic of discussion here is computer software.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version