ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is it so hard to find a decent image organizer?

<< < (38/65) > >>

Dormouse:
I tried to use the "Move to folder..." feature in the right-click menu but the resultant dialog said it was going to automatically resize the images in order to move them. Why?!?! And there was no way to deselect that - I could change the new size and/or the method used to resize it but I didn't want the damn image resized! So I thought that perhaps the image was too large for the program, that maybe the program has a size limit on images. (Though my images don’t generally exceed about 2272 x 1704 x 24 px).
-J-Mac (April 01, 2010, 02:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've just tried this with a much bigger image - no offer to resize at all; worked very straightforwardly.

Dormouse:
Speaking of which, how does IDImager compare with IMatch (and others) in the context of cataloging and searching very large image collections?
-zevel (April 01, 2010, 10:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's a few years since I gave IMatch a thorough trial, so I might be a bit out of date - though, on a quick glance, the program doesn't seem to have changed massively since then.

IMatch is more purely an image catalog program. IDI is an image catalog program with more extra functions that you might want to use if you are using your image catalog.

There is some difference in functions. When I was looking at it, IMatch didn't have a good ability to manage versions and this had been a frequent request and had been in development for some time with nothing emerging/ (not sure if it does now); this was a feature I wanted and so that relatively small point was one of the things that steered me away.

The biggest difference is probably in style. The UI works differently. IMatch is much more of a programmers program (the scripting forum currently has 8905 posts, the 2nd biggest on the board to the General Discussion with 12766; IDI has 2150 posts in its scripting forum, with 13042 in Product Related and 9962 in IDI Pro (and 7986 in Bugs & Problems; IMatch doesn't have a forum for Bugs).

It's a question of what suits you best. They can both handle large databases of large images very well.

superboyac:
I was just thinking, if ACDSee didn't change their interface in the latest version, it would still be the one for me.  but they changed it so that they have their 4 main modules in the upper right hand corner now.  What used to take one or two clicks now takes 5-6 clicks and is slower doing so.

J-Mac:
Dormouse,

Here's what I see in the Collection Viewer after clicking View>Details:

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

And here is the "Image Detail" pane at the lower right of the main window that I mentioned in a previous post:

[attachthumb=#2][/attachthumb]

I have to look for hidden columns somewhere I guess...

Thanks!

Jim

J-Mac:
OK - here's a clue: Notice the scroll bar at the bottom? Tough to notice with the dark skin. I dragged it all the way to the right and got this:

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

So there are some "hidden" columns it seems...

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version