ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Incredible photo from Australian wildfires

<< < (2/4) > >>

Target:
controlled burns are used to reduce the likelihood of huge bushfires like we're experiencing at the moment

done under controlled conditions (usually under the supervision/management of the local fire service, and within a defined area) it reduces the amount of combustible materials in the bush and reduces the potential for fires to get out of hand

Local agencies used to do them more often, but environmental (read political) concerns have significantly reduced them.

Personally I think this is only half the issue as home owners and local governments also need to be a lot more vigilant/responsible (having said that, it probably wouldn't have helped much in the current situation... :() 

Ehtyar:
Controlled burning is a practice whereby areas of dense vegetation and high forrest-floor buildup is set alight by the fire services in the winter months in order to prevent buildup of fuel over time which is consumed by fires in the summer months when they're virtually inevitable. The ferocity of the fires currently burning in Victoria is in direct proportion to the amount of fuel they have to burn. Suffice it to say if a sensible amount of controlled burning was taking place, these fires would not be causing the damage and costing the lives that they are.

Ehtyar.

Ehtyar:
True, homeowners were disastrously unprepared for these fires, as tends to be the case unfortunately. However, it's likely that support from authorities on this matter is minimal.

Ehtyar.

Deozaan:
Controlled burning is a practice whereby areas of dense vegetation and high forrest-floor buildup is set alight by the fire services in the winter months in order to prevent buildup of fuel over time which is consumed by fires in the summer months when they're virtually inevitable. The ferocity of the fires currently burning in Victoria is in direct proportion to the amount of fuel they have to burn. Suffice it to say if a sensible amount of controlled burning was taking place, these fires would not be causing the damage and costing the lives that they are.

Ehtyar.
-Ehtyar (February 11, 2009, 05:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah but fires aren't "green" and just think of the carbon footprint of all those controlled burns! Much better to kill humans who are the cancer of the earth anyway instead of clearing out dried out weeds/bush. That's the Earth's natural beauty we're talking about here! Can't destroy that for the sake of some stupid humans who think they own the planet or something!

[/sarcasm]

Ehtyar:
I tried to restrain myself Deo, really I did, but reading that just made me feel so good, lol. Next time I'll be sure to beat you to it :P

Ehtyar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version