ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Got my Ubuntu disk,got two hard drives,can i dual boot off of a seperate drive?

<< < (2/2)

Gothi[c]:
...and you can then use your BIOS boot menu (usually F8) to choose the right disk when booting
--- End quote ---

IF your BIOS supports it. Better check first.
Many older BIOSes (expecially motherboards with IDE only, no sata) don't let you switch between disks without changing master/slave jumpers on your hard drives, etc,...

Dirhael:
While it's not freeware, I'd recommend you to check out BootIt NG. It's what I use to tripple-boot XP, Vista & Ubuntu. It works perfectly, and the main advantage by doing it this way is that I can hide the different partitions/disk depending on what OS I choose to boot. This way, there's no chance of any OS installation messing things up, as they all think their respecive partition is the primary boot disk :Thmbsup:
Oh, and in addition to being a boot manager, it also comes complete with partition managment (like Partition magic etc., only not installed in the OS) & disk imaging. Best $35 I've ever used on a single application :)

f0dder:
True, gothic... but then it'd have to be a really old motherboard. While I can't remember if my old Athlon700 system had a bios boot menu, it certainly was able to boot from other drives by entering the bios settings and changing boot order.

nite_monkey:
What I was doing when I was using the vista beta, you could un plug your xp hard drive, and plug in the other one in it's place, and just shutdown and swap drives when you want to switch operating systems. Yes I know that isn't very good, but if all else fails, it's an Idea.

tinyvillager:
 Thanks for the responses everyone.

I've been hammering away at it.When i tried the second drive dual boot,i got grub errors.
Then i said screw it,installed it on main disk....went well until logon.It froze up! No mouse
no keyboard.When running it in live mode,everything works,sound,everything. :huh:

Don't know,i'm running 6.10,maybe i'll give it another try when the new release comes out,which
i hear is very close.

I'm bummed,in live mode it looks really cool.

Ok,got it working ,i'm a moron.This is cool. :Thmbsup:  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version