ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is Firefox 3.0 the "Fat Elvis?"

<< < (2/6) > >>

f0dder:
Carol, iirc there's some article that mentions they not only switched to jemalloc, but also managed to shave off a substantial number of allocations during startup (I think it was in the ~50k range? Don't have an URL handy, it might very well be the one Edvard linked). Hopefully that'll do something for startup speed...

nosh:
I tried it yesterday after reading that it's way more responsive than FF2 on some blog. Maybe so for some people, but it certainly didn't feel that way to me. Wonder how badly it'll crawl when the remaining 80% of my extensions that are incompatible right now catch up.

My biggest gripe with FF right now other than the "speed" issues is the crap extensions leave behind after they're uninstalled. Can't they have a robust install/uninstall engine that forces a clean uninstall?

Lashiec:
My biggest gripe with FF right now other than the "speed" issues is the crap extensions leave behind after they're uninstalled. Can't they have a robust install/uninstall engine that forces a clean uninstall?
-nosh (April 14, 2008, 04:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Manual deinstallation is more enjoyable ;). Besides, apart from loose files, and extension settings in the files, not much crap is left around. Remember that you can always test extensions in a separate profile.

nosh:
Remember that you can always test extensions in a separate profile.

--- End quote ---
Very true, I have a separate profile set up exactly for that purpose - there's just one problem, I never end up using it!  :-\

P.S: I'm going to have to look up "enjoyable" once again in the dictionary now. :P

wreckedcarzz:
I use Firefox 2 about 99% of the time and I still like it. Tried Opera but didn't get on with it...

My biggest gripe with FF2 is the speed of startup - any news on whether this is improving with FF3 ?
-Carol Haynes (April 14, 2008, 04:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ditto - Opera didn't "click" with me. But it did launch faster than FF - takes about 10 seconds to load up for me when I have any more than 3-4 tabs open (Opera took 2-3 sec). And I only have 10 plugins! :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version