ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snack Guidelines

IDEA: slim folder menus on taskbar (not in system tray)

<< < (2/3) > >>

lanux128:
i also went the ShortPopUp route but the project hasn't been updated for some time, i think the author is pretty much happy with the end result.. but anyway, with LaunchBar Commander & Free LaunchBar, i've arranged my shortcuts just the way i wanted & i'm pretty much happy with the end result.. :)

app103:
I don't know if you ever found a solution to this, but there is a way to do what you want without installing any software to handle it.

If you right click your taskbar and go to "Toolbars" and select "Desktop" you can push it small so just the title "Desktop" shows on the taskbar, and have access to all the shortcuts on your desktop, when you click the little arrow next to that.

Anything that is a folder on your desktop will be a tree, similar to the start menu.

And the best part...the "My Computer" menu item expands to show all your drives...and all folders on those drives, and all the files in those folders...just about everything on your pc from just that single menu.

Actually, most of those special Windows desktop icons expand into menus this way, so you will be able to access a lot more that what you originally asked for...all from the space of a single arrow & caption rather than having many of them taking up your taskbar space.

This screenshot shows what I mean. Keep in mind I have a bit of a different layout going on with a vertical taskbar instead of the traditional horizontal. But it should work like this on any Windows machine.

IDEA: slim folder menus on taskbar (not in system tray)

AndyM:
you can push it small so just the title "Desktop" shows on the taskbar,
-app103 (November 25, 2007, 06:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
But look at how much room "Desktop" and ">>" take up on the taskbar!

tomos:
app,
how do you get the other stuff (i.e. not my docs & not drives) at top level with drives?

app103:
Which ones, specifically?

I think I used X-Setup Pro to add a few entries that lead to specific folders on my system (Old Computer & Downloads). It's a registry hack.  ;)

you can push it small so just the title "Desktop" shows on the taskbar,
-app103 (November 25, 2007, 06:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
But look at how much room "Desktop" and ">>" take up on the taskbar!
-AndyM (November 25, 2007, 11:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ahhh...but it takes up less space than C: >>, D: >>, E: >>, etc, since it is all in one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version