ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

SOLVED: desktop icon manager/grouping

(1/5) > >>

mitzevo:
Hi there,

Was wondering if it's possible to make an app that controls how desktop icons are displayed.
Desktop icons by default when created are place on top left of screen or more so under the previous icon on left part
of the desktop.

Is it possible to, say, have a program to control where new icons are placed? For example:
all new .txt files are placed in a designated spot, or box on the right side of the desktop..
and shortcuts are placed on left, while .doc files are placed on the right side on the bottem..

Imagine the desktop split in 3 parts, each "box" is an area where icons will go

I know this would help me alot because I have work files (mainly .doc's) and work unrelated files (like what ever).
Some times I will make a background wallpaper with sections with titles like: "temp", "work", etc.

Ok hold on, let me find an old background I used for a little while..
* mitzevo searches for it..
SOLVED: desktop icon manager/grouping

see how I have a section for temp files.. Now that I've gone thru great pains of attaching that image I might as well do some mock ups of how some program might manage icons..
* mitzevo dabbles..
ok see this attempt at trying to convey my meaning...

the grid like or division like lines could be toggled/turned on/off, what ever the user wants.. or maybe this is just an unneeded feature.. anyway
maybe this could be the beginning of an advanced desktop organizer with regions that can be controlled..

any ways does any one have any thing to say about this? I tried looking for some thing like this a while back and only found desktop icon position savers, and related.

nudone:
good idea. i'd find this kind of tool useful too as i use the desktop as a storage and a work area with plenty of icons scattered around the place.

jgpaiva:
I very much like this idea, but couldn't find a way to organize the icons through command line (even though that infor is stored in the registry in a binary key).
Can somebody help?

lanux128:
cranioscopical wanted something like this. more in this thread and also here..

cranioscopical:
mitzevo,
This one looks very close to your ideal http://www.sharewareconnection.com/desktop-organizer-arranger.htm:
thanks go to mimiihu and lanux128 for a great deal of help in this area!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version