ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OhLife - A new way to journal

(1/5) > >>

wraith808:

I've been trying to keep a journal for a while.  Actually longer than I've been trying to keep a blog, though I've been as successful with one as the other.  That is... not.  I saw a tweet from Jesse Meecham about OhLife, and checked it out.  It seems like a good idea- something in my face might help.  Basically, you sign up, and it sends you an e-mail reminder every day at 8PM to write about how your day was.  You reply, and it appears in your area on the site.  A pretty simple idea... I'm hoping it will work.

OhLife

Renegade:
There's a piece of software that I've wanted to write for a long time to help do stuff like this. It's hard to actually write things down as there's always something else that's more pressing.

superboyac:
I've struggle with this for a long time.  This is somewhat related to my notetaking struggles also.  Let me offer a suggestion: that service you posted about doesn't really do anything differently than Evernote.  Evernote can do all that and more, and it does it really well.
I've always thought Evernote would make an excellent journal/diary application.  You just open it, write whatever you want, and close.  The date will automatically be recorded, and that's the minimum requirement.  you don't even have to tag it, organize it, give it a title, or anything.  Just open it, write, close, done.

Now, here's the great part.  Evernote can work with just about ANY device commonly used.  Your computer, obviously, but both PC and Apple work.  Iphones, ipad, other cell phones...they can all use evernote.  Now, let's say your device can't do evernote for some reason, and here's the amazing part...all you have to do is write an email to your own specially assigned evernote address, and it will automatically get added to the database of notes.

Finally, ALL this information going back and forth from various places and devices, will be automatically synced.  Just amazing.  Think about it, what more do you want for a journal?

now, let's say evernote doesn't have enough specific journal features.  then just export it to a more robust application.  But if that's a strong need, then you're not trying to journal quite as casually as you've stated in the original post.  Then you can use some hardcore journal app (like the Journal).  but then, you probably lose all those amazing conveniences I described above.

wraith808:
I use Evernote, but it doesn't prompt you.  I just want a simple way to be prompted, then it's up to me to write it.

JavaJones:
Yeah, I think the reminder is the unique bit here. Of course you could setup a repeating reminder in Google Calendar or any other such reminder/calendar system with email alerts to do the same, then use Evernote or anything else for the actual journaling, which may be better. The OhLife service ties in to its own platform for "journaling", so unless you like how it handles it, there's not necessarily a need to use it just for the reminders. But I definitely like the reminder concept. Simple and obvious but not something I've done yet, which I should try.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version