ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2010

NANY 2010 Release: Piggy Banks

(1/5) > >>

skwire:
NANY 2010 Entry Information
Application Name Piggy Banks Version v1.0.4 Short Description Simple fund tracker Supported OSes All Windows OS Web Page Piggy Banks Download Link Zip file (portable) System Requirements Windows OS Version HistoryChangelog
Author Profile Screencast (courtesy of mouser, thanks!)
* Here
* YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGb59DuVZBk

Description
Original idea from mouser here: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=20595.0

Piggy Banks makes it easy for you to keep track of 'fund' accounts where a little money is put away each day.  For example, your family might decide that every day $1 will be put aside to help pay for a new board game.  Piggy Banks will make it easy to see how much money is saved up in the board game fund at any time.

Features

* Track as many funds as you would like.
* Real-time updating of funds and projected completion dates as you adjust the data.
* Export to CSV option.
* Icon turns from a silver medal to a gold medal when your fund completes.  Wooo.
Planned Features
I cater to the people so suggest something.   :D

Screencast

Screenshots

NANY 2010 Release: Piggy Banks

Usage
Installation
Unpack the archive to its own folder and run PiggyBanks.exe.

Using the Application
1. Right-click the list (or use the toolbar buttons) and choose "Add fund" from the menu.  A new fund will be added to the list with some default values.  You will see a silver medal icon as well.  This signifies that the fund hasn't been met yet.
2. Name the fund whatever you'd like and change the values as needed using the fields at the bottom.
    a. Goal amount -- This is the target goal of the fund.
    b. Daily accrual -- This is how much you expect to put away daily for this fund.
    c. Kitty -- This is for any extra amount that you want added into the fund.
3. All values are calculated in realtime as you adjust the numbers.  You will also see a projected completion date based on the current values.
4. Once you reach your target goal, via daily accruals and the money in the kitty, the medal will turn gold.
5. Go buy your prize!

Uninstallation
Delete the folder you unpacked the archive to.  Nothing is written to the registry.

Known Issues
It wouldn't be software if it didn't have issues.  Let me know if you find any.

MilesAhead:
Looks good skwire.  My only suggestion would be some projection for the average rate of inflation for that item.  As example, A Tank of Gas.  Your car holds how many gallons, gallon of gas currently costs $x,  seed money you start with as Mouser suggested.  daily/weekly/monthly chip in amount =   nevermind! I'm walking to work from now on!!

MilesAhead:
Actually I was only joking a little bit.  If it is to be a long range planner it might be a good idea to have a variable for projected price increase/decrease.  As in some items may inflate quickly whereas electronics/computers may have a predictable price drop over time.  There may be some index somewhere that has that kind of info for consumer items?

skwire:
Looks good skwire.  My only suggestion would be some projection for the average rate of inflation for that item.  As example, A Tank of Gas.  Your car holds how many gallons, gallon of gas currently costs $x,  seed money you start with as Mouser suggested.  daily/weekly/monthly chip in amount =-MilesAhead (December 17, 2009, 05:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

The seed money is handled by the kitty field.  You can enter in any static amount there to be added to the fund.

Actually I was only joking a little bit.  If it is to be a long range planner it might be a good idea to have a variable for projected price increase/decrease.  As in some items may inflate quickly whereas electronics/computers may have a predictable price drop over time.-MilesAhead (December 17, 2009, 10:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not certain that the intention of this app is to be a hardcore planner or predictor of prices.  If the price of an item comes down, one can easily change the target goal amount, no?  Is this along the lines of what you meant?

Target:
not sure if this is useful feedback or if it's going beyond the intentions of this app but...

is there any value in incorporating some sort of debit field to this?

I realise this is venturing into the realms of ledgers and the like but it seems like sometimes you might want/need to legitimately debit a fund.  I realise you could do this by modifying the kitty, but there's no details of the transaction so you won't know the who/when/why - this may not be important, but it was one of the first things I thought of when i saw mousers original post

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version