ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Locking the screen with limited rights and universal password

<< < (2/2)

PhilB66:
LockIt

mlawhorn:
Black Screen

http://www.rjlsoftware.com/software/security/black/

Says it will only work on Win95, Win98, ME... but I use it on XPsp2 with no problems.

Can be defeated by power-off.

-------
This security application will lock your desktop from unwanted users. There are several display options you can choose from, a totally black screen, capture the desktop, or display a specified bitmap. There is a setup screen where you can define the password, display type, mouse options, and more! There is no installation required, just click on Black Screen and the first time it is launched it will configure your system. Perfect program to secure you desktop with no hassles.

relequestual:
crap! some1 beat me to saying about black screen by RJL! i thought id have it covered!  :P
lol oh well
Donationcoder is amazing! my blog has kicked off now! appaholic.co.uk if anyone is interested

Ehtyar:
Well, thank you all for your replies, sorry it took me so long to get back here.
I tried them all, and so far I've come to the following conclusions:
Black has too many holes; you can view the start menu, the keyboard still functions even if you can't see what's being typed, and you can use alt+tab.
LockIt appears to be a 200k taskbar icon shell for LockWorkStation, which is unsuitable for several reasons (see first post).
Lock Windows Desktop, however is excellent if i were to "roll my own" as it were (which i have been doing). Thank you very much for that recommendation PhilB66, it will come in most useful.

Ehtyar.

TucknDar:
hey, Ehtyar, I remember you had some troubles with the infamous Ctrl+Alt+Del and Task Manager. I stumbled upon a thread on the AutoHotkey Forum discussing the issue with a few solutions. Maybe it helps?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version