ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

vibe streamer - your own personal mp3 server software

<< < (2/2)

superboyac:
I used to use a program called SnackAmp for a while:
http://snackamp.sourceforge.net/

It could also stream mp3's from a server computer over the web.  It worked pretty well, and the web-portion interfaces with the snackamp player, which was an interesting alternative to winamp itself.  It looks like the author hasn't updated the program (open source) for about a year now.  I used to keep in touch with him in the beginning, but not anymore.  He's a nice guy.

One thing that is inconvenient about streaming mp3's is that you're going to be limited by your ISP's upload bandwidth.  A lot of my mp3's are 320 kbps and 256 kbps, and that translates to 40 and 32 KB/s of upload bandwidth.  I know my ISP is capped at about 20 or 30 KB/s, so when I tried to play my mp3's they would get all choppy and the playback sometimes just paused completely.  So, it was very inconvenient.

JavaJones:
Generally speaking you're going to have to downsample your audio for streaming. To me that's just a natural thing to accept and I have no problem with it. It's a small sacrifices to "only" get 64kbps audio when I can have access to my entire music library from any computer. One of my problems with Vibe is it doesn't have very good control of bitrates. It has simplistic bitrate control but it doesn't seem to produce very good/consistent results.

I'll check out SnackAmp.

- Oshyan

Eóin:
A lot of my mp3's are 320 kbps and 256 kbps...
-superboyac (June 15, 2006, 10:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

This has nothing to do with vibestreamer, but if your a bit  of an audiophile maybe you should look int Musepack. It supposed to be the best at higher bitrates.

sri:
http://www.kplaylist.net/

kPlaylist is a free PHP system that makes your music collection available via the Internet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version