topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 2:22 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Eggdrop not logging encrypted conversations  (Read 8068 times)

gogo_hr

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Eggdrop not logging encrypted conversations
« on: September 13, 2007, 11:32 AM »
Hello,
I've just installed tcleggdrop_mcpsfuncs.tcl to my Eggdrop 1.6.18 with SSL patch. I configured everything and the bot accepts crypted commands from the channels. But it doesn't log the conversations in the channels. I tried configuring another channel, with plain text, and the logging worked like a charm. I use the following in the .conf file:
logfile jpk #channel "logs/chan.log"
Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance... And sorry for my bad English :)

soehest

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Eggdrop not logging encrypted conversations
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 05:52 AM »
Hello,
I've just installed tcleggdrop_mcpsfuncs.tcl to my Eggdrop 1.6.18 with SSL patch. I configured everything and the bot accepts crypted commands from the channels. But it doesn't log the conversations in the channels. I tried configuring another channel, with plain text, and the logging worked like a charm. I use the following in the .conf file:
logfile jpk #channel "logs/chan.log"
Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance... And sorry for my bad English :)

Actually you are in a sense answering the question yourself. The point of this type of encryption is that decrypting takes place on the clients in the encrypted channel (data needs to be send encrypted or there would be no point in doing this at all) and not on the box which is running the eggdrop itself. There would be nothing to log (except encrypted lines which wouldn't do you much good anyway. Hope this makes sense :-)

Regards

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Eggdrop not logging encrypted conversations
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 11:34 AM »
soehest is right about the fact that the data would be encrypted if your eggdrop logged it so wouldn't be readable.

however, it really should still be logging the encrypted text since it shouldn't know the difference between encrypted and non-encrypted text.  so an important question is are you really saying it's not logging the encrypted text, or are you saying it's logging it but the text is all garbled.

if it's the latter, and you are using tcleggdrop_mcpsfuncs.tcl then you should be able to add your own logging code to your eggdrop.  you might be able to do that by simply installing a 3rd party logging script from egghelp and making it sure it loads below the mcpsfuncs.tcl script.