ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Firm sues over comments

(1/2) > >>

Grorgy:
Here in the land down under we seem to have upset a certain maker of computer software and they decided to sue a community forum  :o

Firm sues forum to silence critics

Asher Moses
September 12, 2007 - 1:06PM
AdvertisementAdvertisement

In a move that could set a nasty precedent for Australian website operators and their users, a software firm is suing a community website over comments published on its message board.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/web/firm-sues-forum-to-silence-critics/2007/09/12/1189276778252.html for the full article

cybernetnews:
If people got sued everytime they said something bad about a product... :-\

Carol Haynes:
You can't help laughing - the fact that they are suing means that the very comments they don't like are being repeated more widely to illustrate the case.

I don't know how Australian law works but AFAICS the simple defense of 'personal opinion' of users would cover it - everyone in a country with free speech should have a right to be wrong in their opinion. I'm sure the company could enter into a meaningful discussion on the same forum if they really wanted to.

Darwin:
Unbelievable. What will be next - injunctions, restraining orders, and prosecution for uttering criticisms at coffee shops? Talk about not getting it! Wars have been fought over this type of censorship. Kind of indicates that the internet and how we perceive it is still in its infancy, still evolving.

Armando:
What will be next - injunctions, restraining orders, and prosecution for uttering criticisms at coffee shops? -Darwin (September 12, 2007, 05:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well... I wouldn't be surprised if we see some of those soon! Prosecutions for *no other reasons* than making money (or avoiding money loss) do happen more in more in Canada (as you probably know...).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version