ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Forum Signature Spam: Let's discuss how to handle..

<< < (5/12) > >>

OGroeger:
I agree with mouser and his idea of a minimum post restriction. But i would expand that with a minimum time restriction: You need to be registered at least one month before your signature becomes active or you even can define one. Both sanctions have the advantage that they can be scripted and don't need someone to monitor this.

Btw, i don't like images in signatures, too.

f0dder:
I think a minimum postcount would be sufficient, no need to disallow links etc... if somebody is linking to something objectionable, the smart members here will find out, and the issue will be solved.

I think images in signatures are okay as long as they're small - I can't stand the several hundred pixels you see at other forums, where a signature might take up half a screen. Something like nudone's 39px cody image is okay, but that's really the max I can stand...

Carol Haynes:
OK I have changed mine now - I feel sufficiently guilty  :-[

Beth UK:
I go along with the idea of a minimum post count. I quite like some smaller pictures (if they make me smile  :D)

CWuestefeld:
I agree with mouser and his idea of a minimum post restriction. But i would expand that with a minimum time restriction: You need to be registered at least one month before your signature becomes active or you even can define one. -OGroeger (September 13, 2007, 05:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
As was noted before, if it's just requiring n posts before signatures will be shown, then the spammer will just post n+1, and that makes the problem worse. The time restriction is a good one: after a month waiting period, the spammer's web site is probably going to be shut down, so there's no point in his following through with it.

Can defining a signature simply be made a privilege of becoming a donating user?

And of course those exponential "karma" suggestions are one more reason to revisit the karma debate  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version