ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Forum Signature Spam: Let's discuss how to handle..

<< < (2/12) > >>

TucknDar:
I'll unashamedly say I was hoping trying to get rid of some books with my signature, but it didnt work  :-\-iphigenie (September 12, 2007, 04:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
I've checked out your books :) A couple of them might be of interest, but I don't have any points yet, so can't mooch them currently.

So some sigs kinda work

Eóin:
I currently have sigs turned off in my profile but like iphigenie I quite like to read quotes and such. Just I find that big sigs with images and such tend to break up threads.

jgpaiva:
Well, going against myself, i think that tall signatures with big images might become anoying. (i do love mine, though :P) But people around here tend to be polite, and i probably have the biggest sign in the forum.

I'd support the idea of people not being allowed to include links in their signatures until they have a certain number of posts (i'd go for 5, or something like that, i guess).
Another solution would be for the mods to be able to block someone's signature if it becomes spammy along the way.
Also, why not add some kind of human verification to the registering? (i don't mean those images noone understands, i mean those with phrases that have some specific answer)

cranioscopical:
I support whatever measures are required to choke the spammers.  If that means some restrictions on the rest of us, so be it.

I think Mouser's initial step is a smart one, but what a pain having to monitor that situation!

One feels, more and more, that the benefits of the internet are being significantly eroded.

For myself, I'm reaching a point where keeping out unwanted material (of all kinds) almost outweighs the benefits. I have the strong feeling that I was a lot more contented in pre-commercial-net and BBS days. (That feeling might not be correct - it's easy to overlook the benefits when grumbling about the disadvantages.) My feelings are exacerbated by the need -- that most of us here share -- to protect inexperienced users in the household.

nudone:
cody says ban all signatures unless he's in them. and make the minimum allowed size be 1000 px tall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version