ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Forum Signature Spam: Let's discuss how to handle..

<< < (11/12) > >>

tinjaw:
Just to throw my two cents in. I don't care what people put in their signature. If you don't want to read them, turn them off. A signature is just that - it tells you something about the person.

Carol Haynes:
How about removing all the issues once and for all by being radical and just don't allow signatures if they upset people? Everyone can provide a URL link under their name (a little green globe) on the left. Why not say that if you want to link some where do it there. If you have more than one link you want to share you can set up a webpage with all your links in one place and give that pages as your one URL. There are plenty of free web hosting services out there with easy build pages.

An alternative and simple solution is to set up new user with the default setting of signatures turned off - it is then up to individuals if they want to view signatures?

mouser:
i think it's better if any links in the sig is about DonationCoder.com only
--- End quote ---

i think you were kidding but in case you werent, i'll just say clearly that no we wouldn't do that, we want people to be able to link to their websites and interests.

mouser:
i don't think we want to turn off signatures en masse, i think they add some nice flavor, and like tinjaw says, anyone who doesnt want to see any signatures can easily turn them all off.

this isn't a big deal, just something we might be able to improve a little with some suggested guidelines.

and you know we can't help tinkering with things here and discussing the "best" solution to any given problem :)

the other alternate solution that i think might be a nice little forum modification that let users enable and disable specific user's signatures in an easy way, with the ability to mark certain users signatures as disabled by default.  like just a little + or - button to the left of a signature that collapses it to 1 line hight, and the setting would be remembered forever, so once you collapse someones signature it will remain collapsed *for you* on every post they make until you expand it again, and vice versa.  i just don't know if that's not overkill.

f0dder:
I have a problem with affiliate links, period. But links to other sites than DC doesn't bother me, depending on content... I don't think mrainey's links, for instance, are bad (although as soon as somebody links to a commercial product, it should be very clear how they're affiliated with it).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version