ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (38/119) > >>

Darwin:
Well, it appears that the load time for the context menu in both TC (vanilla) and TC UP is depends on the type of file that you are selecting. In both TC and TC UP load times are pretty much instant for files, but take a bit longer ~5 seconds for folders. That 30 second wait that I experienced intitially was for a folder and another process (DoubleKiller Pro) was tagging my anaemic single core CPU.

lanux128:
I've enabled the context menu in TC and (drumroll) it takes at least 30 seconds to appear!-Darwin (January 22, 2008, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Darwin, when i read the above i immediately recalled this context-menu problem i had with SC but then you had already found out the reason for the delay.. :Thmbsup: btw, i have only vanilla TC and the appearance of the context-menu is consistent regardless of file-type.

J-Mac:
I-N-T-E-R-E-S-T-I-N-G (is this the most overused word in the English language? No? I'd like to nominate it, along with genius, and hero as the three most overused words). I've enabled the context menu in TC and (drumroll) it takes at least 30 seconds to appear!

J-Mac, given the above discussion, I'd be very interested in hearing how long the context menu takes to appear in you TC installation? FWIW, I tried this in my TC "only" installation, and not in the TC UP installation, though in the interest of being thorough, I'm off to give that a whirl as well. I am not optimistic.
-Darwin (January 22, 2008, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---
Darwin:  Context menu in TC - with the Options changed as in the screenshot above - took 7 seconds the first time - immediate after that.  Pretty darned quick actually! Thanks Dirhael!

Also, I lost my TC-UP installation file.  Downloaded a few times & kept losing it!  Thought I was going even crazier!  Looking further into it I found that NOD32 is eating it up as soon as I download it - and without any notification. I swear, NOD32 keeps falling lower on the A-V Test sites, and it also keeps eating files that I want!!  (Doggone program is starting to act like the old Norton monster!).

Tom:  Thanks for the F2 tip - I didn't even think of that.  Next time maybe...   :)

Dormouse:  I have no idea what you mean. Either you misunderstood my post, or I'm misunderstanding yours!!  Let me think on it and I'll post back to you.  :)

Jim

J-Mac:

Today I needed to rename a handful of photos, and as soon as I right-clicked on the first one in DOpus and started waiting, and then remembered about the delay.....  Man that takes long!! Why is that? Anyone know?
-J-Mac link=topic=9958.msg97787#msg97787
--- End quote ---

This is not a problem I understand. Images don't try to open when I right-click on them and there is no delay before I can rename them. Network drives present too. What aren't I understanding?
-Dormouse (January 22, 2008, 02:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

OK - I re-read all and I do see what you are missing - I think!  Right-clicking in DOpus doesn't open anything; all it does - for me, anyway - is take real long.  That is, if I use the standard Windows context menu.  If I use the DOpus context menu it opens fast, but that menu is missing a lot of items I need to use.

What I meant about the images opening is:  You know how in regular, old Windows Explorer if you left-click on a filename and then after a very short wait, left-click on it again, the filename is highlighted and you can rename the file?  (Of course quickly double-clicking opens the file). Try it in Explorer - Left-click, and then again after a brief (less than a second) delay. Instead of opening the filename is highlighted for renaming.

I was trying that in DOpus, and it works on most files, but it won't work on image files. As a matter of fact it looks like if I have the appearance set as Thumbnails, it opens every time.  (Probably something to do with the Lister Content feature, the one where it tries to look at the folder contents and applies the appropriate file-viewing  mode.  BTW, this has never worked well either!!)  If the Lister is in Details or a similar mode it goes into rename with a slow double-click.

Hope this helps!

Jim

Darwin:
Hi Jim - re: TC UP. Bitdefender goes crazy over a number of files contained in my TC UP installation. I ran a trial of ESET Security Suite earlier this month before going with BitDefender and it didn't like elements of the TC UP install, either. Both of them complained about files in the "Programs" folder of TC UP. Revelation was one, I don't remember the others. I just let my AV disinfect/delete the files and removed the offending programmes as I use none of them anyway. The next time I install TC UP, I am going to do it clean and be very selective about the additional programmes it installs - I like the GUI improvements and the additional menus but am not really fussed about a lot of the additional 3rd party software (though note: it is nice to have the entire package installed to a thumbdrive).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version