ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (29/119) > >>

longrun:
I've used PowerDesk Pro for years and love it. I can't really say how it compares to the others, but it is on sale this week for $9.95. Product info: http://news.v-com.com/cgi-bin1/DM/y/nBOnd0S7y6h0jWw0ElGm0EW. Sale orders: http://news.v-com.com/cgi-bin1/DM/y/nBOnd0S7y6h0jWw0ElGn0EX

enginer:
Ah, ....

Tomos:   There is a registry option in some of the file managers that allow substitution of , for example, Xplorer2 as the default file manager.  I believe in that case (haven't tried it yet) Win Explorer never runs. 

I have noticed that Xplorer2 chews up a lot of CPU at times; that >could< be because it is using some Win Wxplorer DLL's if Win Explorer is not turned off

tomos:
Tomos:   There is a registry option in some of the file managers that allow substitution of , for example, Xplorer2 as the default file manager.  I believe in that case (haven't tried it yet) Win Explorer never runs.-enginer (December 14, 2007, 09:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

I could well be wrong :) but :) I believe all the file managers that "replace" explorer dont actually completely replace it
e.g. Dopus: you can "replace" explorer with it but explorer still runs in the background doing various other (mysterious) things that explorer does

I never used them but is it the case that "shell" replacements actually replace explorer? which are something else alltogether
I think so, hopefully someone else might chime in there.

rjbull:
what file manager is better as a resource hog?  What are the issues that I can investigate to set a correct install/priority to keep a file manager from slowing other applications down?
-enginer (December 14, 2007, 07:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

You might consider a bit of lateral thinking, and try out Mouser's Process Tamer here at Donation Coder:

Process Tamer is a tiny (140k) and super efficient utility for Microsoft Windows XP/2K/NT that runs in your system tray and constantly monitors the cpu usage of other processes. When it sees a process that is overloading your cpu, it reduces the priority of that process temporarily, until its cpu usage returns to a reasonable level.

--- End quote ---

I use Total Commander all the time, including my Win98SE laptop, and don't find problems with it.  From what little I've used Ztree Win (which is console mode) and XYplorer, the new kid on the block, a no-install program with free version as well as a payware one, I haven't seen problems with them either.

a_lunatic:
but explorer still runs in the background doing various other (mysterious) things that explorer does
--- End quote ---

I know explorer runs your taskbar as I kill it sometimes & taskbar disappears & run 3Dmark06 tests

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version