ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (27/119) > >>

nosh:
Go to details view and press Ctrl D, it'll start listing the folder sizes starting from the selected folder. You can also enable folder sizes to be shown at all times in the program options but this will slow things down.

If you haven't read the manual you're only scratching the surface of what X2 can do, BTW.

Darwin:
Funny - I'd like to change my vote but as the "architect" of the poll all I can do is edit it or lock it, but not change my vote  :(

I'm now using multiple file managers, although still use Dopus 9 as my Windows Explorer replacement.

JohnFredC:
If you haven't read the manual you're only scratching the surface of what X2 can do, BTW.

--- End quote ---

This is my basic complaint about most software: "hidden" behaviors, INI settings completely missing from the interface, etc.

If I need to read the manual, then the user interface has not been optimally designed. Ideally, the interface should be completely transparent for a user familiar with the functional domain to which the software applies.

tomos:
If I need to read the manual, then the user interface has not been optimally designed. Ideally, the interface should be completely transparent for a user familiar with the functional domain to which the software applies.
-JohnFredC (December 05, 2007, 06:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
you can forget about DOpus then too...
in fairness when I got DOpus I wasnt "familiar with the functional domain to which the software applies"
but I still think you'd need to read a good bit in order to be really able to use the programme or to configure it (I havent used DOpus9 but certainly with 8 they could have made a lot of stuff a lot more accessible - on the other hand I think over 2 years it has easily repaid any time invested to figure it out)...

nosh:
-JohnFredC (December 05, 2007, 06:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree with you to the extent that there are a few apps that made hitherto straightforward tasks unnecessarily complex or change something familiar for an unjustifiably small or no boost in performance. A learning curve to square one. If you made that statement with regard to Office 2007 and the ghastly ribbon interface I'd agree with you whole-heartedly.

You don't need to read the X2 manual for ordinary tasks, however. It emulates Windows Explorer pretty well in that sense.
For the more advanced functionality you obviously have to put in the necessary effort to get the benefits. I wouldn't say Photoshop or MS Word (2003) are not optimally designed apps just coz a Notepad user needs to read up about mail merge or an MS Paint user needs to read up about layers to start using them.

The reason I mentioned the manual is ironically enough, because X2 is one of those file managers that comes across as very familiar to the Windows Explorer user. The downside to this is that most people tend not to realise the amazing functionality the lies beneath the unassuming interface... till they actually bother reading about it.

I think the amount of transparency that an app can have depends on the level of power/complexity involved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version