ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (26/119) > >>

Dirhael:
Correct me if I'm wrong but, your definition of a virtual folder sounds like a folder filled with hard-links?
-SirSmiley (October 17, 2007, 06:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Must be. I wonder how it can work otherwise... unless it's using the NTFS Alternate data Streams + a database, or something similar, like the tag2find software.
-Armando (October 19, 2007, 11:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

In DOpus:

It's definitely not hardlinks - cause the folder doesnt actually exist anywhere -
you cant create subfolders -
e.g.
say you have a virtual folder "ABC", containing folders 1, 2, & 3:
you cant make a new folder in ABC & drag 1 2 & 3 into it. Cant make the subfolder atall.

It's more comparable to a tagging system really  :)

Also you cant add files to the root collection(virtual) folder

it's just a virtual containing folder
-tomos (October 20, 2007, 04:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

I feel the need to correct you a bit, as you are not correct in all of what you are saying. You can create as many subfolders as you'd like in a virtual folder, and move them around as you see fit. The only thing that could prevent you from handling them pretty much like folders on a real filesystem is if you create them as "members" instead of "sub-collections" (see picture) :)

What's your preferred File Manager

urlwolf:
Tc ultima prime 3.1 released.
Now it makes breakfast too.

tomos:
In DOpus:

It's definitely not hardlinks - cause the folder doesnt actually exist anywhere -
e.g.
you cant make a new folder in ABC & drag 1 2 & 3 into it. Cant make the subfolder atall.

--- End quote ---

I feel the need to correct you a bit, as you are not correct in all of what you are saying. You can create as many subfolders as you'd like in a virtual folder, and move them around as you see fit. The only thing that could prevent you from handling them pretty much like folders on a real filesystem is if you create them as "members" instead of "sub-collections" -Dirhael (October 20, 2007, 07:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

ah,
Dirhael, is that an Opus 9 thing? -
I've never gotten asked that in Version 8 at any rate. :-\

When I rethink it - I'm not definite about whether they are hard-links or not
I was thinking about junction points  :-[ still think they not hard links

Breakfast sounds good urlwolf..

Dirhael:
In DOpus:

e.g.

--- End quote ---

I feel the need to correct you a bit, as you are not correct in all of what you are saying. You can create as many subfolders as you'd like in a virtual folder, and move them around as you see fit. The only thing that could prevent you from handling them pretty much like folders on a real filesystem is if you create them as "members" instead of "sub-collections" -Dirhael (October 20, 2007, 07:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

ah,
Dirhael, is that an Opus 9 thing? -
I've never gotten asked that in Version 8 at any rate. :-\

When I rethink it - I'm not definite about whether they are hard-links or not
I was thinking about junction points  :-[ still think they not hard links

Breakfast sounds good urlwolf..
-tomos (October 20, 2007, 09:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm...you know, I'm not sure. Been so long since I last used v8 that I just don't remember.

You are correct in that they aren't hardlinks/junctions, even if you can create those as well in Dopus (though not in collections) :)

kalos:
xplorer2 is supposed to be the best file manager

but it doesn't display the size of the folders or I miss something?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version