ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (24/119) > >>

mitzevo:
productivity tools are good, just don't go looking for every thing that could help you.. you'll never get any thing done, sure.. you'll find all the tools and things but you won't get your original thing done - if that makes sense. But if you are a software junkie, it's fun finding the best of the best, finding the tools that can ease [computer] life, and etc. I'm trying to remember a quote about perfection or some thing.. some thing along the lines of "a programmer doesn't code perfect from the start" ... really I can't remember.. any one know?  :)

I think the traps are mainly with software junkies, people who try a lot of software.. if you were just joe black, who done some kind of work, and found one software to help with his work.. that's all there is to it.. but if you have a ton of software, and like (well in the beginning :P) playing with it, having the best of the best, etc., then things start getting tricky.. etc., I hope you know what I'm meaning  :tellme:

iphigenie:
Just for the record, I have total commander, wirekeys (which offers quick folders, windows tools, file operation shortcuts), peazip, stardock's extensions for the open/save and keyboad shortcuts and right menu as well as objectbar and windowsblinds, a diff tool, backup tools, a version control system, a rename tool, farr, several image/media managers, some command line smalltools, and a few more tools added recently from this very thread...

and yes, i have tried 10 times this number, easily, i have the lwa records to prove it. so yes i know what you mean  :-\

That is only for file related tasks and only what is installed, not what i have bought or installed in the past and dont use. I think that is it. Until tomorrow.

-- on the traps--
I think the trap also works for non software "organising" systems, everything from "task management" and productivity books/systems/tools to filing supplies. Especially trap #2

jdmarch:
I've been using Total Commander for (and its predecessor Windows Commander) for about 5 years; took me less than a day to be won over to its clean, powerful interface, which just keeps getting better every year.

There's one desirable feature which it's still missing, though, and I'm wondering which of the the other FMs support it -- namely, virtual folders, i.e. the ability to create a persistent folder "containing" arbitrary files which actually are located anywhere, and to operate on them just as if one had opened each one's home folders (view, edit, rename, copy, change properties...)

Lashiec:
Darwin, the link for Directory Opus in the poll have some extra fluff :)

tomos:
I've been using Total Commander for (and its predecessor Windows Commander) for about 5 years; took me less than a day to be won over to its clean, powerful interface, which just keeps getting better every year.

There's one desirable feature which it's still missing, though, and I'm wondering which of the the other FMs support it -- namely, virtual folders, i.e. the ability to create a persistent folder "containing" arbitrary files which actually are located anywhere, and to operate on them just as if one had opened each one's home folders (view, edit, rename, copy, change properties...)
-jdmarch (October 17, 2007, 02:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

DOpus does support virtual folders

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version