ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (15/119) > >>

SirSmiley:
Personally, I'm using a heavily modded version of Windows Explorer which seems to do most of the jobs. Plugins I'm using are QTTabbar, QTBreadcrumbs, FindeXer, Styler, customized Link folder with every shortcut being either a KKMenu or MenuApp menu. Also, using the old drop bar from CodeGuru which is scriptable.

Curt:
@ SirSmiley - I remember having a look at FindeXer a long time ago, but was thinking that I should wait for the promised "Final Version 1.1" because the author himself was talking about bugs. Now it seems that he for almost 1½ year has given up on any final version, so I ask, if your version ("build 3"?) of FindeXer has any bugs worth mentioning?

Dormouse:
I've used pretty much all the alternatives suggested here including addons to Explorer.

I've ended up with 2 that I use regularly.

On my own main computer Dopus (and also on others via usb). You do need to configure it to your own needs to get the most from it; and this does take a long time because there are so many options But the result makes a lot of common actions very easy. It's a bit of a swiss army knife of a file manager able to do a lot of things that aren't pure file management. But it is powerful. The other downside (apart from the complxity), as so many others have said, is that it is more expensive than all the alternatives. but if you use it a lot, it is worth it. Doesn't stop me resenting the cost.

The other one I use regularly is Xplorer2 (mostly in the Lite version which I have put on all the other family computers). Relatively pure file manager. Elegant and very powerful.

I do need another file manager though. I had expected to move all the computers on to Vista, dual-booting with Linux, and then never to 'upgrade' Windows again. I don't think I will get to the Vista stage. I have it on one computer that came with it. Have the option of installing it on another - but doubt if I ever will. After XP, it is likely to be Linux for everyone with just one Windows computer for software not available on Linux. And I haven't found a Linujx File Manager in the class of DOpus or Xplorer2.

Icfu:
TC license allows installation and usage on as many boxes, sticks, etc... you like.
Opus license allows installation and usage on one box you like.

Lifetime upgrade cost of Total Commander: 28 Euro (per user)
Lifetime upgrade cost of Opus: 2800 Euro (per box)

TC community power (addons and stuff): Priceless
Opus community power: As I have been banned, it seems to be worth its price.

Icfu

petermad:
Definitely Total Commander (my license has no. 524  ;) ).

I have tried most of the others, but they either lack functionality compared with TC (with plugins), or there is too much unnecessary (to mee) eye candy.

Has anybody used *any* file manager, then gone back to explorer?-urlwolf (September 13, 2007, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not mee!

Actually, can you post your evolution...-urlwolf (September 13, 2007, 04:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

PC Tools file manager 1986
Norton Commander 1987
Volkov Commander 1994
Windows Commander 1994
Total Commander 2002

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version