ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (12/119) > >>

Darwin:
Wow! I'm impressed - I just received a receipt, mini-manual, and a CD ROM containing the latest release and my registration file for Total Commander! My $34 investment is looking better and better all the time. The file manager is awesome and this kind of attention to detail is phenomenal  :Thmbsup: Christian Ghisler is a class act.

sri:
Wow! I'm impressed - I just received a receipt, mini-manual, and a CD ROM containing the latest release and my registration file for Total Commander! My $34 investment is looking better and better all the time. The file manager is awesome and this kind of attention to detail is phenomenal  :Thmbsup: Christian Ghisler is a class act.
-Darwin (September 27, 2007, 11:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Total Commander? Are you referring to the ugly duckling? How does it compare w/ DOpus in your opinion?

Darwin:
Well... I'm still using Dopus 9 and love it. I need to get that out of the way/out in the open up front. TC is amazing because there is little that it can't do, it's pretty convenient/intuitive to use and the price is amazing ($34 for a licence that is good for upgrades until further notice. That might sound scary, but no charge has been made for an upgrade in years). Anyway, I run WinXP Pro in Classic mode and don't mind the look of TC in the slightest. It runs off a USB stick, too - without the necessity of buying an additional licence - and you can take all of the plugins with you as well. Look at XYplorer as well... You'll probably like the GUI better than TC and it, too, comes with USB compatibility for "free" and features a lifetime licence. It doesn't feature dual pane viewing but it's use of tabs and the context menu makes moving/copying files around between folders as convenient as a dual pane manager anyway. It's an excellent alternative to both DOpus and TC. As noted elsewhere, though, the price is going up on Oct. 1 so check it out now - it's currently $29.95 going up to $49.95 and I am not sure that the new price will include lifetime licencing...

mwb1100:
Re XYplorer:

As noted elsewhere, though, the price is going up on Oct. 1 so check it out now - it's currently $29.95 going up to $49.95 and I am not sure that the new price will include lifetime licencing...
-Darwin (September 27, 2007, 12:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

My understanding is that the new $49.95 price is still for a lifetime license.  There will be a less expensive license that has limitations on upgrades (I'm not sure what the exact limitations will be - time based; version based; or ???).

The price increase was discussed here:  http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?t=1722

But I'm not sure if anything official has been announced, except that after Oct 10 lifetime licenses will cost more than $29.50.  In any case, if you're on the fence about XY, you should think about making the plunge before Oct 10. $30 is a bargain, especially given the attention to updating the software that Don gives it.

longrun:
I've used PowerDesk Pro since it was a Mijenix product. As with many other DC discussions, I've looked at alternatives mentioned on DC but haven't found the benefits of switching to outweigh the costs.

One thing that might get me to switch would be the option to add notes to files with the ability to transfer notes to a different PC.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version