ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (10/119) > >>

Darwin:
Thanks John, I'm downloading it now.

pmcg:
Once I got DO on my machine there was no looking back. The only thing I HAVE to add to it is FileBox Extender so I can get to the folders I need to when I am saving something. Whenever I feel a little restless or need cheering up, I can always discover a new feature in DO that can be added to one of my toolbars as a button and that does the trick.

I grumbled when I had to pay the upgrade also. I use DO on four machines and so that was a bit spendy when I went to Vista. I kind of sympathize with the author though, as upgrading something as powerful and interactively complex as DO with something as unwieldy and not-ready-for-prime-time as Vista must have been a PITA.

The idea for this poll was a good one as it draws attention to a class of apps that are worthy of discussion. I'm curious now to take a look at some of the others.

The only real irritation I have with DO at this point is that it requires a 'Shift' key press for context-menu extraction of RAR files and yet manages to natively support context-menu extraction of ZIP files. But I'm not sure that is DO's fault as it may be some problem with the proprietary RAR format vs the more open ZIP format.

For anyone who wishes they could modify the feature-set of their file manager to more effectively do what they need to in Windows, DO will not disappoint!

drjdcollins:
I used to use the Norton Utilities file manager until they stopped upgrading it for later versions of windows. I now use PowerDesk 6. It is not as good as the Norton Utilities one. In particular I miss the one click display of all the files in a directory and all subdirectories. From time to time I look at others because of recommendations I read but none have seemed any better. PowerDesk's biggest weakness is handling lots of directories/subdirectories with more than 1000 files (sometimes over 5000 files) you get when you download websites. This is generally only a factor when you want to move them to another HDD. I haven't found any other that will do it (even disk image software has problems). I am only just in the process of changing to XP Pro (completely clean install) and this may do better. Unfortunately it is a very big job as I have well over a million files and close to 1000 applications to reinstall.

Darwin:
so much for my three way battle for first (it was Dopus at 19 and both TC and Xplorer2 at 18 each)... Now Dopus has really pulled ahead.

vixay:
YaaaY! for dopus!
I use dopus all the time! With the new portable version it's even easier to move around with it!

I have tried all the other explorers mentioned here sometime or the other, but stuck with dopus throughout. Just gotten used to it now, and resistant to change :) thats a common feature as you grow older.

I've ignored office 2007 and still on 2k3. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version