ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (8/119) > >>

JohnFredC:
Hi Nudel!  You've responded to a few of my posts over at the Dopus forum.

Not sure what you mean about the panel dividers, -Nudel
--- End quote ---

AFAIK there is no way to set the Dopus panel divider percents from a button.  Also, there is no way to control precisely where the panel dividers go when toggling quickview and folder trees off and on.  Dopus uses some sort of "best guess" algorithm instead of letting me specify precisely where the dividers should always display under all circumstances.  Invariably the dividers go in the wrong places for my use.  I'm just tired of dragging them back into position, over and over and over. 

To prove my point, display a Dopus lister in the "Dual Vertical" style.  Set the folder tree dividers/splitters where you want them.  Now go to the view menu and toggle one of the trees off.  Watch what happens to the dividers.  Now toggle the tree back on.  Watch the dividers.

I tried using the Dopus "styles" functionality to set up all possible panel combinations with dividers in the desired positions, but there is no setting I have found that will "keep current paths" when toggling between styles, so that didn't work, either.  Leaving the folder options unchecked in the left and right panel tabs of the Styles config panel doesn't do it, though it looks like it should.

And yes I put in an official bug report/request. The response was to deny that I was even experiencing the issue.

and the preview pane ("quickview") works for both left and right (or top and bottom) file display but only displays what's selected in the most recently active one.
--- End quote ---

If I highlight a file in the Dopus left panel, I want its quickview to appear in and (temporarily replace) the right panel (it does).  But if I highlight a file in the right panel, then I want the quickview to appear in (and temporarily replace) the left panel (it doesn't). The official response to my official request for this behavior was something like "we don't do that".

To see how tabs should work, look at the SpeedCommander tab properties dialog.  Then you may understand my point of view about the "incompleteness" of the Dopus tab implementation. The only thing missing from the SC tab implementation are a few minor functions I use in the TC tab context menu plus the ability to rearrange the SC tabs with the mouse.

Neither TC nor Dopus (nor xplorer2, for instance) subordinate the folder trees' visibilities to the tabs.  SC does this.  I much prefer that the individual tab control its own tree visibility.  Some tabs don't need the folder trees and it is an inefficiency (not to mention a pain) to always have to toggle the tree off in those situations, then toggle it back on for the tabs that need it.

Etc, etc, etc...

MrCrispy:
Vista Explorer has some features that no one else has, such as  -

- instant search
- stack and group by views
- automatic scrolling in tree views
- search folders and support for the new search protocol handler

..etc. I am waiting for these changes to show up in a file manager and until that point none of them can claim to be completely Vista compatible since these are OS level changes. I admit I have not used the expert options in DOpus so I am not too familiar with it since I use xplorer2.

Curt:
Most of the time I will just use XP's Explorer, for the ease of it, but quite often (daily) I use Ultra Explorer - I am still somewhat impressed.

Sometimes but not often, maybe once every second week, I use the free mtExplorer, and a few times I have used the 10 (ten) dollar Power Desk 6 Pro.

Maybe once every second month I will even use SurfWare's Aaron's Explorer which I had from GiveAwayOfTheDay(Edit: $3 (THREE dollar) at Bits du Jour), but at the normal $30 I cannot recommend it in any way.

Grorgy:
I havent been able to see how xyplorer can find my mp3 player, its a sansa, and in xplorer2 and windows explorer it appears as 'sansa' and can be opened and all normal file and folder tasks can be carried out, but it doesnt show up in xyplorer :huh:

Laughing Man:
I had the same problem, but it has to do with the way the Sansa player shows up in the computer. I think there's a setting in the device to have it show up as a HDD device instead of a mp3 player. Which will then allow XYplorer to see it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version