topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Which File Manager do you rely on in Windows?

Windows Explorer
Directory Opus
Total Commander
XYPlorer
xplorer2
Altap/Servant Salamander
Frigate
Speed Commander
AB Commander
Haven't decided yet.
Other
Variety is the spice of life - I use mutliple File Managers!!
Power Desk

Last post Author Topic: What's your preferred File Manager  (Read 455573 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What's your preferred File Manager
« on: September 12, 2007, 12:25 AM »
At tinjaw's urging, I'm creating this poll to try to get a sense of what File Management solution(s) DCer's are using. So, cast a vote and let the numbers tell their tale!

If you vote "other" please let us know what solution you are using.

Finally, what we're really after here is your PRIMARY File Management solution, so only go for option 12 ("Variety is the spice of life - I use mutliple File Managers!!") if you well and truly DO use multiple different File Managers DAILY (I have about 10 installed myself, but really only use one regularly).

Thank you,

Mike

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What's your preferred File Manager
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 12:34 AM »
"Variety is the spice of life" ;D

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 12:47 AM »
I have a feeling Directory Opus will be the winner.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 12:58 AM »
as long as it's not "Windows Explorer" then we'll have nothing to discuss.. :-\

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 03:16 AM »
ahhh good to see some variety, i use explorer2 xyplorer powerdesk and windows standard one from time to time and for various things, keeps me amused anyway, trying to guess which one to use  :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 03:55 AM »
Grorgy, you're one post short of a milestone, don't forget to add yourself here.. :)

ws-grorgy-1.png

ak_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • wopah
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 04:00 AM »
Hey, where's Freecommander ? :(

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 04:33 AM »
Ok - I'm being a weenie... Still using Windows Explorer...

Years ago I used PowerDesk.

I just haven't had the time to test out different explorer replacements.

A few times I've had to write custom utilities to do things like mass deletions or to find files because Windows Explorer was just too slow for me. Suppose that time would have been better spent trying alternatives...

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

JohnFredC

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 06:55 AM »
The poll should have been multiple choice for me, because I resort to different file managers for different specific functionality, and the last option doesn't really capture any useful data.  Good start, though.

By the way, that should be spelled "AB" Commander.

walsch

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 07:18 AM »

I didn't know that one before.

Thanks, it's always nice to try another one.  :D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 08:40 AM »
The poll should have been multiple choice for me, because I resort to different file managers for different specific functionality, and the last option doesn't really capture any useful data.  Good start, though.

I wanted to get to the app that people use as their primary File Manager and felt that allowing people to pick more than one in the poll would skew the results so didn't opt for this when designing it. I can see your point, though - unfortunately, I can't go back and add the option to allow multiple votes to be cast in at this point (it's not an option that is offered to me in editing the poll). All I can suggest is that you post a note listing the File Managers that you use on a regular basis. I use DOpus almost exclusively, but also tend to use XYPlorer and TC at least once a day. Lately, I've been using TC heavily (as you probably have gathered from the original thread) but still find myself falling back on DOpus. This is as much because it is still configured to replace Windows Explorer on my system. Anyway, long and short of it is that I can't change the poll now without resetting the vote count and (possibly) starting from scratch.

Whoops. Thanks for pointing that out - I've corrected it.

JohnFredC

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 09:50 AM »
OK.  Here's my list.

TotalCommander
Registered.  Open on my desktop continuously.  Use for nearly everything.  Never lost a file.  Most recent versions sometimes slow considerably when accessing network shares.  Has the most responsive/fastest GUI (maybe because there isn't much of a GUI going on!).  Faulty plugins can cause crashes.

SpeedCommander
Still testing this one but may purchase soon.  Use for unzipping encrypted archives since TC (being Swiss) won't always accept a password (important thing to know, eh?).  Lost one file, once, could have been operator (ie. my) error but I don't think so.

Also am testing the SC virtual file list functionality for making easy backup sets.

Altap Salamander
Registered.  Use occasionally.  Best/smoothest interaction paradigm.  Sheer delight to use, but no folder trees, no folder tabs, no quickview, only 10 folder favorites.  Most stable (no crashes, ever.)  Never lost a file. 

DOpus
Registered.  Use occasionally.  Spend most of my time trying to figure out how to make it behave like TC or SC.  No luck so far.  Poor folder tab implementation.  Panel dividers don't behave as I want.  Quickview only in right panel.  Never lost a file. Crashes occasionally.

FreeCommander
Hoping for improvement, so I test from time to time.  Not enough reliability data to comment.  Plagued with display issues ( I use "large" fonts).

EFCommander
Back in my testing cycle since it now claims to support TC plugins.  So far, wlx (viewer) plugins appear to work OK, content/custom columns (wdx) and file system (wfx) plugins fail (for the ones I have tested).  Haven't tested archive (wcx) plugins yet.

The Pack
I just test the latest versions occasionally to see if they have improved to a level where they might be candidates for my use.  None have so far.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 11:22 AM »
JohnFredC,

So what do you recommend as the best choice?
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

JohnFredC

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 12:07 PM »
IMHO, naturally:

It depends a bit on whether you have a causal need or a "production" need.  Also, are you a mouse person or a keyboard person?

Please note that my preferences are for dual-pane file managers, with (preferably) or without dual folder trees.  If you just want one that does only a folder tree and a file panel, I hope you "see the light" some day.

If you are a casual user, most of them (including nearly any member of the "Pack"... Enriva Magellan comes to mind) work OK.  I personally think Salamander is really nice, though, even with its limitations.  If you are a heavy mouse user, SpeedCommander has the best tree/folder tab, etc, integration/behavior, IMHO.  Version 12 has a nicely implemented breadcrumb bar functionality, though one can't drag and drop to it (darn!).

If you need "industrial strength"... meaning you work with "weird"  file systems, manage remote servers, or need obscure archivers, or use more/different metadata than that provided by Windows itself, or mostly prefer keyboard over mouse, or want to be able to view essentially any file, then TC (plus plugins... I repeat: PLUS plugins) is the way to go, with the understanding that you WILL have to learn the best ways to use it.  It's the plugins that make TC so powerful, mostly.

On the other hand if you need automation (that is, multi-step file activities) and are not comfortable with writing batch files or using a tool like AutoHotkey (necessary for automating TC, for instance) but are not averse to some coding or code-like scripting, then look at SpeedCommander (built-in VB script object model) or DOpus (limited scripting, but good GUI for what it does do).

And if you are only a casual user without a lot of file management needs who just loves to play with software, fiddling with colors and buttons and menus etc etc then Dopus is your man.  That thing seems to have a setting for nearly everything... except the things I personally need settings for. ;)

If you need Unicode, the landscape changes, though.  At this writing TC, Salamander, FreeCommander, and most members of the "Pack" do not support Unicode.

Cost is another issue, too.  TC is one of the least expensive.  You buy it once, free upgrades forever.  DOpus is the most expensive initially AND you have to repurchase it to keep up with its rather speedy evolution.  SpeedCommander is similar, though less than DOpus.  That's one reason I suggest looking at FreeCommander.  It's still a baby, but is currently free and offers a lot of functionality.

Let me also step in here, though, and say quite bluntly that even the lowliest member of the "Pack" is generally more efficient for file management than MS Explorer.  If you are using Explorer, you're spending too much time doing file management.  Pick another file manager.  You'll be glad you did!

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 01:53 PM »
I just use the WIndows Explorer, so I needn't adjust my behaviour on different PCs
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

Subsailor

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 03:36 PM »
I have a feeling Directory Opus will be the winner.

I doubt it. It may be the greatest thing since sliced bread but it's too expensive. Especially if you have multiple PC's.
ETC(SS), USN (Ret.)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 04:07 PM »
At tinjaw's urging, I'm creating this poll to try to get a sense of what File Management solution(s) DCer's are using. So, cast a vote and let the numbers tell their tale!

Links?  Or are they in the other thread?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 04:09 PM »
I doubt it. It may be the greatest thing since sliced bread but it's too expensive. Especially if you have multiple PC's.

It is pricey. Fortunately, there is a lot of bang for the buck AND they only update every two or three years. Still, I now have lifetime licnences for both Total Commander and XYPlorer and may not be so quick to upgrade Dopus next time around. I love it and am certainly most comfortable in it, but there certainly are lots of options out there.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 04:12 PM »

Links?  Or are they in the other thread?

I'm not following you on this one, wraith. Are you requesting links to the various File Managers posted here?

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 04:18 PM »
Has anybody used *any* file manager, then gone back to explorer?
I mean, I'm having trouble seeing DC users that actually like explorer :)

Actually, can you post your evolution if you switched? I like those. I went explorer -> dopus (with DC discount -> TC (horrified by dopus upgrade fees, I found nirvana in TC)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2007, 04:42 PM »
Sure, urlwolf... actually, it's difficult. It started in Windows 3.11 with FMStepUp (File Manager upgrade - added context menus and all sorts of useful stuff). Under Windows 98 I started experimenting with all sorts of File Managers - an early version of AB Commander was one of them (and the only one I can remember the name of). When I switched to Win2k I bought DOpus 6 and I've never really looked back. Being an idiot with money, I did buy DiskJockey 2000 because of its Stellent Viewers (the lunacy was in not realizing that there are much better File Managers out there that come with the same viewers for the same price, not realizing that I could buy QuickView Plus to get the viewers and finally doing this about 12 months before Yahoo! released Yahoo Desktop Search with the same viewers for FREE!). You know what they say about fools and their money... I like to think that I've learned my lesson, but am pretty sure that I have not...  :-[ as from there there followed giveawayoftheday acquisitions of Frigage 3 and AccelMan 3.6 (so no money lost), the purchase of XYplorer (courtesy of a DC discount), the purchase of ZTreeWin (during the summer sale), PowerDesk 6 for $9.99, and finally Total Commander.

PS Note how many DC members ARE happy Windows Explorer users - only one less than DOpus users! Also - my progressoin goes like this (to follow your format):

FileManager ->FMStepUp->Windows Explorer->DOpus.

In practical terms this is how things stand now (might change as I immerse myself in TC and XYplorer). Note that I still have FMStepUp loaded running on top of a WnNT 4 copy of winfile.exe!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 04:45 PM by Darwin »

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2007, 04:44 PM »
FileManagers are a hard habit to break - once you get used to the quirks and features in whatever you use, its hard to switch. I tried to like DOpus since it obviously has great features, but its sufficiently different from xplorer2 that I always end up going back.

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2007, 11:07 PM »
Dopus has tremendous capabilities if you have the time to dedicate your life to figure out all the inane nuances required to configure it.   :down:

The DC forum turned me onto QTTabar http://quizo.at.info...reeware/indexEn.html and I'll never go back to Dopus. :Thmbsup:  It modifies Windows Explorer, which I have avoided for over 10 years, but it provides all the neccessary tools for fast and easy file management that should have been there all along without being too complicated.  It enables easily configured tabs and groups.  It's not bloated so it loads quickly.  It's stable.  It has just enough bells and whistles to do what I need to do.  It's FREE and updated pretty regularly.

Goodbye Dopus.

p.s. This is my chronological order of progression of file managers over time in order from oldest (top) to most recent (bottom):
- Windows Explorer
- PowerDesk
- ExplorerPlus (I still use this from time to time for old time sake.  It has one of the best fastest search functions which in combination with Locate32, DtSearch and X1 provide every option of desktop search required by mankind)
- Dopus
- QTTabar (modified Windows Explorer)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 06:30 AM by jdd »

Fedorov

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 03:27 AM »
I've voted Total Commander as I've used it everyday for the last few years... BUT... the current offer of a lifetime license on XYplorer was too good to resist. I've been watching the rapid development of XYplorer over the last 6 months and the regular releases with new features is superb, I've bought a license so I'm going to force myself to use it in preference of Total Commander and see how I get on :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 03:49 AM by Fedorov »

serendipity

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007, 04:29 AM »
I choose XYplorer. Reason: Small, fast, portable, quick development, regular updates and finally great user support.  :Thmbsup: all the way.