ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (80/119) > >>

Tuxman:
Except 2), x² provides the same values.  8)
(I'm sure there are a lot of explorer extensions which add that functionality anyway.)

I would probably use DO, too, but, besides its memory consumption and the GUI (somehow it all feels too big for me), it is simply too expensive, so I'll gladly stick with my x² lifetime license. (Although XY is becoming better with every release, but one is enough for me.)

cyberdiva:
Thanks very much, Tuxman, for your prompt and helpful reply.  Alas, I really love the ability to put my cursor over a graphics file and see what it is without having to open it.  As I say, that was probably the feature that sold me on DO when I first tried it several years ago, and I wouldn't want to give it up.  I agree that DO is expensive, but at least it's not one of these programs that asks you to pay for a new version every year.  I think thus far I've had to pay for an upgrade only once.  Still, there's no question that I'd prefer to spend less.  But would I be willing to give up the features I value in DO?  Probably not.  Sigh.  :-\ 

Tuxman:
Maybe it would be worth the effort to give the alternatives a try.  8)

J-Mac:
I use DOpus but I also have XYPlorer (lifetime license) and TC (also a lifetime license). I use DOpus mainly because it has a lot of features and is easy to operate. XYPlorer also has a lot of features but TBH I Don’t know how to use a lot of them. I do know that early on a lot of its features were available through scripting, but I often have problems with scripting: mainly that developers seem to leave the learning of scripting up to the users. I Don’t want to have to learn how to code before I can use a program. I'm not saying that XY is quite that, but any app that requires a knowledge of scripting in order to use it effectively should, IMO, teach the scripting to its users and/or just provide a UI to overcome that.

I agree that DOpus has slowed down a lot since I started using it, and I would definitely switch to XY in a minute if I could do so without a large learning curve.

Thank you.

Jim

tomos:
@ cyberdiva & CWuestefeld,
have you tried the Dopus forum to see what the problem is with reading the respective folders ?
I get the impression they are fairly responsive with bugs and that sounds like a bug to me...

I havent noticed any slow-down in Dopus from v.8 to v.9 myself

Two of the major attractions of Dopus for me are:
~ the ability to save named (tabbed) layouts (sortof like sessionsaver in FF)
~ the fact it has a half decent image viewer (for a file manager at any rate)

I often find there's stuff I'd like to access but it's too hidden away / or difficult to implement / or to find info about. I had great trouble after upgrading even trying to find concrete info about a couple of features that were advertised in Leo's 'intro' (http://nudel.dopus.com/opus9/). But I guess that's the usual 'help file lags behind the software' story which is the same with most software.

Re XYplorer:-
I love using it :) Also, it's great the way it gets updated so often with new features.

As to forums - I cant say I'd have a preference between the two (dopus/xy). I've made a couple of small requests @ XY forums which were very quickly implemented which always makes for a very nice experience :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version