ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (79/119) > >>

Darwin:
+1 for what mwb1100 worte  :Thmbsup:

I tried and failed to write something lucid along the same lines, but it was late and I was tired, so I gave up!

cranioscopical:
+1 for what mwb1100 worte  :Thmbsup:

I tried and failed to write something lucid along the same lines, but it was late and I was tired, so I gave up!
-Darwin (May 06, 2010, 08:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
I've also found the author to be very quick to respond, which is something that I value.
Typically, when I have a query I'd like a response the day before I formulate it.

cyberdiva:
For some time I've been a user of DOpus....
However, over the past few months I've found that it slows to a crawl when opening and sorting the contents of one particular directory (and not that large of one, with just a couple of hundred items). This has become enough of a frustration to me that I've mostly switched to XYplorer.
-CWuestefeld (May 04, 2010, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
Gee, here I've been thinking that DO's taking a long time to open several of my directories was my fault.  Now you've got me wondering whether I should be looking at other options before the next new ver$ion comes out.  I've been impressed by what I've read about XYplorer and xplorer2.  Basically, if I were to change, I'd want a program rather like DO but more agile.  Hmmm....

Tuxman:
Neither x² nor XY are "rather like DO"; that's why they are actually used by, at least, me.  :)

cyberdiva:
Neither x² nor XY are "rather like DO"; that's why they are actually used by, at least, me.  :)
-Tuxman (May 06, 2010, 01:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, let me say what I especially like and don't like about DO.  Among the things I don't care about are its ftp and zip capabilities.  I have separate programs that I prefer for both of those.  And, obviously, I don't like the fact that it takes a while for DO to open some of my directories.  Also, I wouldn't at all mind if it were a bit simpler to use.  Having a zillion features and settings that I don't need just adds to my frustration when I'm trying to figure out how to do something.  There's so much stuff to plough through to find what I need.

What I value in DO are
1) its dual pane structure, with the possibility of switching to single pane or images pane.
2) the ability to put my cursor on a graphics file and see a thumbnail of the file (this was one of the features that won me over to start with)
3) the File Collection feature--essentially a virtual directory into which I can put files and directories from all over my computer
4) the ability to put program icons on the toolbar so that if I highlight a file and click on, say, the Photoshop icon, the file will open in Photoshop.

These are features I use all the time.  There are probably lots of other things I value about DO, but these are the ones that come to mind most quickly.  Once I found DO, I was hooked, so I haven't bothered to look at other file managers since then.   Am I simply going to have to stay with DO?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version