ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (78/119) > >>

Tuxman:
He's very resistant to criticism, even when it's intended to be constructive, because he has his own vision of what his program should be, and won't be swayed from it.-CWuestefeld (May 04, 2010, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
Which is not actually bad, as it avoids XY to become bloatware. So that's why we have the choice when it comes to file managers, right?

wraith808:
He's very resistant to criticism, even when it's intended to be constructive, because he has his own vision of what his program should be, and won't be swayed from it.-CWuestefeld (May 04, 2010, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
Which is not actually bad, as it avoids XY to become bloatware. So that's why we have the choice when it comes to file managers, right?
-Tuxman (May 04, 2010, 01:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think the criticisms are necessarily of him having a vision and a direction, but the manner in which he interacts with people that don't have the same vision.  IMO, there is a problem with that.

mwb1100:
but the manner in which he interacts with people that don't have the same vision.
-wraith808 (May 04, 2010, 01:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

I understand that part of this may be a difference in the communications style of Germans vs. whoever else (Americans?).  There might also be nuances that don't translate well from his native German to English.

Or Don may simply be difficult.

But one thing is also clear - Don is quite willing to change his mind about things, though it may take some work to convince him.  He's done so on such items as dual pane support for XY or even whether a user on the forum should be banned or considered an asset to the forum community.

Innuendo:
The only reservation I have in recommending XYplorer now is the attitude of the developer. He's very resistant to criticism, even when it's intended to be constructive, because he has his own vision of what his program should be, and won't be swayed from it. I've seen exchanges on his forum become what I would consider abusive of his users when they criticize the program. But if your vision is sufficiently close to his, you can get a long way with it.-CWuestefeld (May 04, 2010, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's my impression as well. Any software author that won't listen to the suggestions of his users is not going to be writing any software I'll be using. Yes, it's his right to do what he wants to with his program just as it is my right to not buy it, use it, or recommend it.

mwb1100:
Any software author that won't listen to the suggestions of his users...
-Innuendo (May 05, 2010, 09:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

DonL does a whole lot of listening and acting on the wishes of users. I'd say far more than most other software companies or authors I've dealt with.

That's not to say he accepts all suggestions (or criticisms), and I can see how someone might consider some responses rude, but on the whole I don't think that's the case.  And like I said, he's willing to be convinced and will change his mind without reservation when convinced.

Of course, if he rubs you the wrong way, it's certainly your right to decide not to give him your business. I just don't want others who read the message to be left with the impression that he doesn't act on suggestions. That is not the case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version