ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (49/119) > >>

Curt:
I've found ULtraExplorer but It works crashly ...-Nxqd3051990 (March 22, 2008, 07:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Will you tell which version it was: 1.5.0.3 or 2.0.0.0 Beta 1a (scroll to second post) ? Did you try to change the settings? -because:

Yes, I had some crashes the first day, but they left for good when I changed the settings. You may have to look into the Options and try your way around, because Ultra is not that clever and will not tell you if you have made a bad setting.-Curt (June 29, 2007, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

- the default settings are not ALL stable.

Also remember that UltraExplorer is not a common file manager, because the authors are (so far) concentrating on various components, listview and stuff:

UltraExplorer is the testbed for Mustangpeak Delphi and CBuilder Components.
--- End quote ---

Rover:
I've been using Total Commander since it was WinCommander!  It has a wealth of plug-ins available that let you SFTP, read ISO files, and just about anything else you'd want.  I keep finding things I like about it. Most recently, I noticed that I can include a description for files.  Total Commander creates and maintains a decsript.ion file to keep track of file comments in each directory.

Pack or Unpack files with a variety of tools:  .zip, .tar, .gzip, .rar, .lha, .arj and more.  Filename search, text search, file compare.....  the list never ends!!!   :Thmbsup:

:D 

J-Mac:
Not sure, but I believe that the descript.ion comment area is present in files on any NTFS drive.  Nice that you can access them using TC, but you can also access those in the native Windows Explorer.

Jim

mwb1100:
I believe that the descript.ion comment area is present in files on any NTFS drive.
-J-Mac (April 06, 2008, 12:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

descript.ion files are not standard Windows things - they were invented (I think) by JPSoft for their 4DOS product and have become a sort of third-party file manager standard of sorts:

http://www.jpsoft.com/ascii/descfile.txt

J-Mac:
I believe that the descript.ion comment area is present in files on any NTFS drive.
-J-Mac (April 06, 2008, 12:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

descript.ion files are not standard Windows things - they were invented (I think) by JPSoft for their 4DOS product and have become a sort of third-party file manager standard of sorts:

http://www.jpsoft.com/ascii/descfile.txt

-mwb1100 (April 06, 2008, 01:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for that tidbit!

I thought I had read somewhere (Here?) that they were part of NTFS - guess not! But I do know I can use them also in Directory Opus and Windows Explorer.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version