ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (106/119) > >>

michaelkenward:
It's one of the most powerful programs you will ever use, but it can also be one of the most complicated you'll ever use as well. Those who master its secrets will never fear a file management task ever again, but the journey can be a difficult one.-Innuendo (February 01, 2014, 09:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

This seems to go with the territory. Powerful software equals complicated.

When I moved from Power Desk, when it became abandonware, I switched to Directory Opus, the most used file manager here, after Explorer. Some years on, the more I use it the less I know.

I suspect that the best guide to these packages is the support that you can get, and the manuals they offer. Directory Opus comes with a manual written by the experts for the experts. So it is not newcomer friendly. But it does have a reactive support forum that does not poor scorn on dumb questions.

Were I seeking a file manager, I would look at support, and the price of course, including frequency and cost of updates, rather than the power under the hood. My guess is that they all steal from one another on the front. If one does something neat, the others will follow.

twinkler:
Deping has taken us into Android territory.

I want to echo the love for Samba Filesharing. I rooted my phone for the sole purpose of being able to use Dopus to copy files over wifi from my PC to my phone. KitKat complicated things and requires using a patched apk from SFS's xda forum, but I found it well worth it.

Innuendo:
When I moved from Power Desk, when it became abandonware, I switched to Directory Opus, the most used file manager here, after Explorer. Some years on, the more I use it the less I know.-michaelkenward (February 01, 2014, 09:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unless one is constantly doing new tasks that they've never done before that's not much of a problem. Let's face it, most of us are creatures of habit and that carries over into our file management tasks as well. I suspect most people, like I have, just set things up the way they want it when they first start using their file manager and barring any little tweaks here and there from time to time most people's configurations stay static.

But it does have a reactive support forum that does not poor scorn on dumb questions.
--- End quote ---

DOpus has a wonderful forum. It's better than Total Commander's by a long shot. TC's forums are populated by people who are dead-set on doing things the way they have always been done. This is one of the reasons I moved from TC to DOpus as TC's user base won't let the author try anything too radical or new & therefore progress is being stifled.

My guess is that they all steal from one another on the front. If one does something neat, the others will follow.
--- End quote ---

File managers have been around for a very long time. I would daresay that most of the innovation that comes in that market comes in new ways to present data rather than new ways to process data.

My only advice is to not put too much stock in first impressions. Often the screen that greets you when you first run that new file manager for the first time can be tweaked quite a bit to make it very different than what you first encounter. This is especially true of Total Commander and Directory Opus and they are both things that the more you put in towards learning their abilities the greater your reward will be.

Innuendo:
Deping has taken us into Android territory. -twinkler (February 01, 2014, 04:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's a whole new ball game. For the longest time I've used File Expert. I used it when it was free and jumped on the pro license when it went live the first day for $2.00. I'm not sure I like the direction they've been going with development so I've been meaning to try something new. However, I really love having root exploring, wireless FTP access, and wireless HTTP access all within one app.

I'm also prone to using WiFi Explorer Pro which I nabbed as an Amazon Free App of the Day a long time ago. It has a very nice browser interface on your desktop to access your phone.

MerleOne:
I oscillate between XYplorer and Xplorer2 Ultimate.  I also occasionnally use Total Commander, and DirOpus, the latter being quite difficult to configure.  And on Mac OS, I use the excellent PathFinder.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version