topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Which File Manager do you rely on in Windows?

Windows Explorer
Directory Opus
Total Commander
XYPlorer
xplorer2
Altap/Servant Salamander
Frigate
Speed Commander
AB Commander
Haven't decided yet.
Other
Variety is the spice of life - I use mutliple File Managers!!
Power Desk

Last post Author Topic: What's your preferred File Manager  (Read 455532 times)

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What's your preferred File Manager
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2007, 12:09 AM »
I really like winscp and abuse it as a file manager under windows. As an alternative I use total commander, and lacking that I make do with the bloody windows explorer...

algy

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2007, 03:04 AM »
I use Norton File Manager which never got beyond v.1.0 but which I find clear and simple to use. But it has limits so I supplement it with xplorer2.

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2007, 05:28 AM »
PowerDesk 6
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

ssb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2007, 07:45 AM »
XYplorer for me.
It's small, fast, feature-rich and most important it comes with a lifetime license (do you hear this GPSoft?)

wales

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2007, 09:46 AM »
I use 'File Notes Organizer 3'  see here.  http://www.filenotes.com/

Excellent programme

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2007, 11:53 AM »
Wow! I'm impressed - I just received a receipt, mini-manual, and a CD ROM containing the latest release and my registration file for Total Commander! My $34 investment is looking better and better all the time. The file manager is awesome and this kind of attention to detail is phenomenal  :Thmbsup: Christian Ghisler is a class act.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2007, 12:03 PM »
Wow! I'm impressed - I just received a receipt, mini-manual, and a CD ROM containing the latest release and my registration file for Total Commander! My $34 investment is looking better and better all the time. The file manager is awesome and this kind of attention to detail is phenomenal  :Thmbsup: Christian Ghisler is a class act.

Total Commander? Are you referring to the ugly duckling? How does it compare w/ DOpus in your opinion?
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2007, 12:29 PM »
Well... I'm still using Dopus 9 and love it. I need to get that out of the way/out in the open up front. TC is amazing because there is little that it can't do, it's pretty convenient/intuitive to use and the price is amazing ($34 for a licence that is good for upgrades until further notice. That might sound scary, but no charge has been made for an upgrade in years). Anyway, I run WinXP Pro in Classic mode and don't mind the look of TC in the slightest. It runs off a USB stick, too - without the necessity of buying an additional licence - and you can take all of the plugins with you as well. Look at XYplorer as well... You'll probably like the GUI better than TC and it, too, comes with USB compatibility for "free" and features a lifetime licence. It doesn't feature dual pane viewing but it's use of tabs and the context menu makes moving/copying files around between folders as convenient as a dual pane manager anyway. It's an excellent alternative to both DOpus and TC. As noted elsewhere, though, the price is going up on Oct. 1 so check it out now - it's currently $29.95 going up to $49.95 and I am not sure that the new price will include lifetime licencing...

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2007, 02:10 PM »
Re XYplorer:

As noted elsewhere, though, the price is going up on Oct. 1 so check it out now - it's currently $29.95 going up to $49.95 and I am not sure that the new price will include lifetime licencing...

My understanding is that the new $49.95 price is still for a lifetime license.  There will be a less expensive license that has limitations on upgrades (I'm not sure what the exact limitations will be - time based; version based; or ???).

The price increase was discussed here:  http://www.xyplorer....viewtopic.php?t=1722

But I'm not sure if anything official has been announced, except that after Oct 10 lifetime licenses will cost more than $29.50.  In any case, if you're on the fence about XY, you should think about making the plunge before Oct 10. $30 is a bargain, especially given the attention to updating the software that Don gives it.

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PowerDesk. Do any others offer transferable file notes?
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2007, 02:39 PM »
I've used PowerDesk Pro since it was a Mijenix product. As with many other DC discussions, I've looked at alternatives mentioned on DC but haven't found the benefits of switching to outweigh the costs.

One thing that might get me to switch would be the option to add notes to files with the ability to transfer notes to a different PC.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2007, 03:13 PM »
Yes - re: XYPlorer, there is literally a new build everyday. It's really quite incredible. I've yet to have a problem with one of the beta builds  :Thmbsup: If it is going to be $49.95 for a lifetime licence (like mwb100 I'm not sure) it's still a bargain.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2007, 11:14 PM »
I stick with Windows Explorer, although I don't even use the "Explorer" sidebar. Start > My Computer is all I need. :)

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2007, 11:50 PM »
And its DOPus in the lead! With Xplorer2, Total Commander and (OHMYGOD!) Windows Explorer vying for second!  ;D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2007, 12:06 AM »
XYplorer is still a contender in 4th place!

wales

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2007, 04:07 AM »
LongRun

Take a look at File Notes Organizer.  I posted the address earlier.

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2007, 10:04 PM »
Okay, okay...
Dopus because of all the boxes I maintain. Still, Ztree Gold is on each one. (I loved XTree gold: so  clean, so easy. Shoot me!)
There's a freeware approximation of X/ZTree for WinXP (dunno 'bout other OS)
http://go.to/filextreme

hth
OEF
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
File Notes Organizer
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2007, 10:45 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I did try FNO when it was mentioned quite a while back. The notes capability is ok, but I didn't like it nearly as much as PowerDesk as a file manager so I stayed with PowerDesk.

One of the few things I like about Vista is the way you can view and search on comments on files, but this wasn't enough to get me to select Vista instead of XP on my new notebook.

azza

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2007, 11:24 PM »
I use Windows Explorer with quite a few addon's to give me the functionality I need.
FolderView to provide 1 click access to my most used folders.
QTTabBar to give tabbed explorer windows.
QTBreadCrumbs address bar to give a much more usable address bar.

I have tried lots of other File Browsers but always missed features from Windows Explorer, hence why I have stuck with a modified Windows Explorer.

Looks like this:
Clipboard01.jpg

ralphm

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2007, 01:13 PM »
I'm a proud user of XYplorer for years and I'm still impressed about the great user support - actually the best I've ever encountered.
Furthermore it's a great piece of software and it gets even better almost daily.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2007, 06:57 PM »
It is good to see so many different people posting at this thread   :up:

I am kind of giving up on XYplorer. Not because it is bad - it is quite good - but because XP's Explorer is so much better. I trialed Dopus, but will not miss it. All you Dopus fan should follow the recommendation from azza and others and try out your standard Explorer, and amplify it with Quizo, for one. Well, let me stay with "for one", because I really shouldn't begin a list of addons for Explorer, should I; such a list will be almost endless. I have so many apps for Explorer that every week I disable some of them, in order to test some of the others. I can see no reason to settle with Dopus - except maybe for the dual pane, but I have others for that feature. One of them, a dual pane file manager, I found only today: the gratis Commander, by MeeSoft. It is certainly no replacement for Explorer, because this is truly a FILE manager (and picture viewer, CMYK included), not a Path Finder! Not even close!! But when you are inside the right folder, and all you need is a file manager, then this little Commander is surprisingly well equipped!  :up:

MeeSoft Commander: http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/  DENMARK.GIF
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 07:02 PM by Curt »

SirSmiley

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2007, 08:17 PM »
Personally, I'm using a heavily modded version of Windows Explorer which seems to do most of the jobs. Plugins I'm using are QTTabbar, QTBreadcrumbs, FindeXer, Styler, customized Link folder with every shortcut being either a KKMenu or MenuApp menu. Also, using the old drop bar from CodeGuru which is scriptable.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2007, 02:56 AM »
@ SirSmiley - I remember having a look at FindeXer a long time ago, but was thinking that I should wait for the promised "Final Version 1.1" because the author himself was talking about bugs. Now it seems that he for almost 1½ year has given up on any final version, so I ask, if your version ("build 3"?) of FindeXer has any bugs worth mentioning?

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2007, 09:09 AM »
I've used pretty much all the alternatives suggested here including addons to Explorer.

I've ended up with 2 that I use regularly.

On my own main computer Dopus (and also on others via usb). You do need to configure it to your own needs to get the most from it; and this does take a long time because there are so many options But the result makes a lot of common actions very easy. It's a bit of a swiss army knife of a file manager able to do a lot of things that aren't pure file management. But it is powerful. The other downside (apart from the complxity), as so many others have said, is that it is more expensive than all the alternatives. but if you use it a lot, it is worth it. Doesn't stop me resenting the cost.

The other one I use regularly is Xplorer2 (mostly in the Lite version which I have put on all the other family computers). Relatively pure file manager. Elegant and very powerful.

I do need another file manager though. I had expected to move all the computers on to Vista, dual-booting with Linux, and then never to 'upgrade' Windows again. I don't think I will get to the Vista stage. I have it on one computer that came with it. Have the option of installing it on another - but doubt if I ever will. After XP, it is likely to be Linux for everyone with just one Windows computer for software not available on Linux. And I haven't found a Linujx File Manager in the class of DOpus or Xplorer2.

Icfu

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2007, 11:44 AM »
TC license allows installation and usage on as many boxes, sticks, etc... you like.
Opus license allows installation and usage on one box you like.

Lifetime upgrade cost of Total Commander: 28 Euro (per user)
Lifetime upgrade cost of Opus: 2800 Euro (per box)

TC community power (addons and stuff): Priceless
Opus community power: As I have been banned, it seems to be worth its price.

Icfu
Und du gehst Rüssel an Schwanz hinterher
Trampelpfade Hintermann was brauchst du mehr

petermad

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2007, 12:43 PM »
Definitely Total Commander (my license has no. 524  ;) ).

I have tried most of the others, but they either lack functionality compared with TC (with plugins), or there is too much unnecessary (to mee) eye candy.

Has anybody used *any* file manager, then gone back to explorer?
Not mee!

Actually, can you post your evolution...

PC Tools file manager 1986
Norton Commander 1987
Volkov Commander 1994
Windows Commander 1994
Total Commander 2002