ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your preferred File Manager

<< < (51/119) > >>

J-Mac:
I've gone back with Total CMD  :Thmbsup: The most powerfull file management :). Xyplorer is simple and cool but it doesn't have dual pane and great plugins :p
-Nxqd3051990 (April 19, 2008, 09:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've had TC for years, and I do love it for some of the things it can do.

Regrettably, however, I have never been able to customize it to look and act act as I would like it to do.  I think it actually CAN be customized as I would like - I have seen screenshots from others - but I've never had the time it takes to research it.  I belong to their forum but nothing seems to be as simple as it would have to be for me to be able to do it fairly easily.

One of these days....

Jim

lanux128:
Regrettably, however, I have never been able to customize it to look and act act as I would like it to do.  I think it actually CAN be customized as I would like - I have seen screenshots from others - but I've never had the time it takes to research it.  I belong to their forum but nothing seems to be as simple as it would have to be for me to be able to do it fairly easily.-J-Mac (April 19, 2008, 10:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

J-Mac: what are the features that you can't activate with TotalCmd? just curious.. :)

J-Mac:
Hi lanux!

Oh, not that much - Just looks and functionality!!  No, there is a lot I can do, but generally it's interface is SO different than most file explorers that I get stumped a lot and need to end up opening another one.  Little everyday things like trying to access features that I am used to accessing from a right-click context menu. I start out needing to do something relatively routine and find myself spending 10 to 30 minutes rummaging around in the TC Help file, and then another 20 minutes or so looking around the TC forums.  Then I realize I have spent well over an hour sitting at my computer trying to find out how to accomplish something that I could have done in 30 seconds using even the Windows Explorer interface!!  So I open that or DOpus or whatever and do it and close TC, not to open it for another month or two.

Been that way for 6 years now! Other similar tasks also.  I'll decide that I need to have folder sizes available in the panes and then I am off again looking for that one, single plugin that allows you to do that. Of course the plugins - which are very useful - are not documented well at all and I end up spending wayyy too much time looking and not enough time doing.

Am I coming across clear?  Or like mud?

TC is just SO much different in how you access and do things that some users can easily outspend their available time looking for instructions for what should be very simple tasks.  Certainly does not help that the Help file is in the old, old Microsoft .HLP format, where you can look at the contents, then clicking on a topic expands to a standalone window and if you need to look for another possibly related topic you must close that window and go back to the contents. They have come out with newer Help formats to make the user experience easier, but many older programs stayed with the first help file they ever created - 10 or more years ago - and then just add to it as time and development goes on.

If I had the time to spend a couple days doing nothing but re-learning Total Commander oddities, I could probably use it more effectively.  But I usually give up once I have spent more time trying to find out "How" than the initial task would have taken!

Any advice is appreciated, though, as always!

Thanks!

Jim

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

NexusFile 5.0 Beta 7

Here is one from Korea,    JungHoon Noh (earlier version listed as Gendreau Patrice on NoNags, perhaps a change) that is worthy of a look-see.  Uses some nice color-coding, which I like  :) . Help file is still in Korean.  A couple of postive Snapfiles and NoNags reviews .  Apparently developement stopped in 2002 and restarted in 2007.

NexusFile
http://www.xiles.net/

Shalom,
Steven

kartal:
Nexus looks and feels very nice and it is very easy to use .It has one flaw thou. it does not have an internal viewer :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version