topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Which File Manager do you rely on in Windows?

Windows Explorer
Directory Opus
Total Commander
XYPlorer
xplorer2
Altap/Servant Salamander
Frigate
Speed Commander
AB Commander
Haven't decided yet.
Other
Variety is the spice of life - I use mutliple File Managers!!
Power Desk

Last post Author Topic: What's your preferred File Manager  (Read 455512 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What's your preferred File Manager
« Reply #200 on: January 22, 2008, 11:59 PM »
Jim - hope you are able to work this out. On other fronts, I get that 30 or so second delay the first time I start TC (or TC UP) in a windows session and then it settles down... It's quite annoying (and I can only imagine what it must be like to have DOpus do that EVERY time you inbvoke the context menu). I'm going to try a tip I've rediscovered that superboyac gave me about this back in May or so: press and hold down the RIGHT mouse button to invoke the context menu (presumably without the setting enabled that Dirhael provided). Yup, it works and I'm right that it works with that setting disabled. There is still a pause but it's not nearly as bad.

EDITED for clarity (did I succeed :o?!)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 12:03 AM by Darwin »

infimum

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #201 on: January 24, 2008, 03:07 AM »
I also have a license for SpeedCommander 12, and I've never had a problem with that one either.

I tried SpeedCommander. Right off the bat, SpeedEdit really has issues with non-Latin characters. Notepad can handle it. That seems to be the end of story for SC for me.

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #202 on: January 24, 2008, 08:16 AM »
I also have a license for SpeedCommander 12, and I've never had a problem with that one either.

I tried SpeedCommander. Right off the bat, SpeedEdit really has issues with non-Latin characters. Notepad can handle it. That seems to be the end of story for SC for me.

Strange how you appear to run into these issues, seeing as I just tested editing a textfile with Japanese and Korean characters in it after reading you post and I most certainly do not have any problems with it. Besides, even if there should be a problem with SpeedEdit, in what possible way does that tell you anything about the file manager itself? Sure, if you couldn't use Notepad from SpeedCommander I could somewhat understand it but seeing as you can...well, I just don't see where you're trying to go with this.
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

infimum

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #203 on: January 24, 2008, 09:29 AM »
Strange how you appear to run into these issues, seeing as I just tested editing a textfile with Japanese and Korean characters in it after reading you post and I most certainly do not have any problems with it.

What's your system default encoding? Western European? Maybe that's why the difference.

if you couldn't use Notepad from SpeedCommander I could somewhat understand it but seeing as you can...well, I just don't see where you're trying to go with this.
-Dirhael

Isn't SpeedEdit part of the product, which by the way isn't free. If part of the product for which I would pay doesn't work, I do care. That's where I am going.

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #204 on: January 24, 2008, 10:17 AM »
What's your system default encoding? Western European? Maybe that's why the difference.

I'm located in Norway so non-unicode programs will default to Norwegian (which would be latin-1). None of the languages I mentioned (Japanese, Korean, Chinese ++) is included in this locale.

Isn't SpeedEdit part of the product, which by the way isn't free. If part of the product for which I would pay doesn't work, I do care. That's where I am going.

Sure it's part of the product, but it is not part of the file manager itself. Windows is in no way free, and it comes with a lousy picture manager, a sub-par file manager, a merely average browser, a useless defrag tool +++ but all that doesn't mean that the OS itself is useless, even though I actually paid for all of the things it includes. Why? Because none of the things I just mentioned really have any direct influence on the main purpose of an OS.

EDIT: Just to clarify though, I do think you should care about whether or not an included part of the product works just as you want it to seeing as you're paying for it, but in this case I don't see it as an important part of the program.

Anyway, if you encountered a problem, why not report the problem to the developer and see if they can fix it? I'm sure they will as long as someone actually let's them know about it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 10:29 AM by Dirhael »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #205 on: January 24, 2008, 12:24 PM »
...Sure it's part of the product, but it is not part of the file manager itself. Windows is in no way free, and it comes with a lousy picture manager, a sub-par file manager, a merely average browser, a useless defrag tool +++ but all that doesn't mean that the OS itself is useless, even though I actually paid for all of the things it includes. Why? Because none of the things I just mentioned really have any direct influence on the main purpose of an OS.

EDIT: Just to clarify though, I do think you should care about whether or not an included part of the product works just as you want it to seeing as you're paying for it, but in this case I don't see it as an important part of the program.

Anyway, if you encountered a problem, why not report the problem to the developer and see if they can fix it? I'm sure they will as long as someone actually let's them know about it.

Surely he is also permitted to mention his problem here also, isn't he?  Seems like you're treating him roughly for even mentioning his issues.  After all, this IS a thread about file managers, and a lot of other users have posted about their problems with such here.   :)

Jim

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #206 on: January 24, 2008, 12:56 PM »
Surely he is also permitted to mention his problem here also, isn't he?  Seems like you're treating him roughly for even mentioning his issues.  After all, this IS a thread about file managers, and a lot of other users have posted about their problems with such here.   :)

Jim

Sure he is, and I never once said he shouldn't/couldn't. I do think he should file a bug report in addition to compaining about it here though, because how is a product supposed to be improved if nobody mentions the problems they are having to the developer(s)?

In any case, what rubbed me the wrong way was that he came into the thread claiming that no other file manager mentioned here other than Windows Explorer and xplorer² does unicode properly, something which just isn't correct.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #207 on: January 24, 2008, 01:13 PM »
Surely he is also permitted to mention his problem here also, isn't he?  Seems like you're treating him roughly for even mentioning his issues.  After all, this IS a thread about file managers, and a lot of other users have posted about their problems with such here.   :)

Jim

Sure he is, and I never once said he shouldn't/couldn't. I do think he should file a bug report in addition to compaining about it here though, because how is a product supposed to be improved if nobody mentions the problems they are having to the developer(s)?

In any case, what rubbed me the wrong way was that he came into the thread claiming that no other file manager mentioned here other than Windows Explorer and xplorer² does unicode properly, something which just isn't correct.

OK - I just couldn't figure out why you were....  chastising him?  (At least it seemed like it!)

Not my business!!  8)

Jim

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #208 on: January 28, 2008, 09:46 PM »
Please, can anyone tell me how to change the icon spacing for DOpus' Large Icons view?

TIA

telmoamaral

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #209 on: February 13, 2008, 05:33 AM »
Does anybody know of a file manager similar to Explorer, but which would allow changing the order in which folders are displayed in the folder tree? That is, instead of having sibling folders always sorted alphabetically, I'd like to be able to reorder them at will, by moving them them up and down (just like items in an outliner). I think this could be a very useful feature (better than starting folder names with numbers...), but tried a few alternative file managers and none seemed to allow this. Thanks.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #210 on: February 13, 2008, 10:00 AM »
Please, can anyone tell me how to change the icon spacing for DOpus' Large Icons view?
-cranioscopical (January 28, 2008, 09:46 PM)

Buy a larger monitor.  :P

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #211 on: February 13, 2008, 10:19 AM »
Or delete a few files?  ;D

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #212 on: February 13, 2008, 09:17 PM »
I knew I'd come to the right place for advice!

:Thmbsup:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #213 on: February 13, 2008, 09:47 PM »
I knew I'd come to the right place for advice!

:Thmbsup:
-cranioscopical (February 13, 2008, 09:17 PM)

Head over to the Dopus Resource Centre if you want a "real" solution!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #214 on: February 13, 2008, 09:56 PM »
Head over to the Dopus Resource Centre if you want a "real" solution!

Thanks, did that a while ago since posting here -- at the moment, changing the icon spacing for DOpus' Large Icons view can't be done.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #215 on: February 13, 2008, 11:39 PM »
Or none at all...  :(

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #216 on: February 14, 2008, 12:53 AM »
Well, I have to say that I'm completely stuck on DOpus, having been a beta-tester from way back during the heady days of Amiga DOpus v5+, (though I owned it since v3.xx).

Other filemanagers just seem anemic by comparison.  Sure it doesn't do everything everybody wants but it does what I want.....and I want a filemanager.  I don't use it for archives, picture viewing, video viewing, etc for the simple reason that there are far better programs for doing those things, (eg. IZArc/WinRAR, XNView, MPC for example).

The only other filemanager I use with any regularity is A43 http://www.primitus.us/a43/, perfect for my USB flash drive.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #217 on: March 01, 2008, 07:42 AM »
At the Thomas Wolsey School in Ipswich, Suffolk, U.K., there is this teacher, Mick Florey, who was getting tired of pupils loosing files or making all files ending up in the root folder. So he started writing a two-pane replacement for Explorer, in order to make life easier for the teachers. It didn't turn out to be quite as easy as he may have been wanting it to be, but after five years of trying he is now quite happy with the result: FileOrganiser - version 1.126 updated 29' Febr. 2008.

I won't be the judge of his work, but it is different in a good way, I think. :up:

http://thomaswolsey....ftware/jam/index.htm - it is gratis.

Edited for date and spelling
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 08:26 AM by Curt »

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #218 on: March 01, 2008, 02:53 PM »
I've just tried it, but then I immediately deleted it because its UI is horrible.

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #219 on: March 15, 2008, 01:09 AM »
Here's a new file manager that i've been using for a couple of days:

http://home.comcast....roducts/waztree3.htm

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #220 on: March 15, 2008, 02:13 AM »
My favorites are freecommander and ultracommander. I tried all those paid softwares and to be honest none of them are offering more than these 2 as far as usability it and general feature set.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #221 on: March 15, 2008, 03:40 AM »
Here's a new file manager that i've been using for a couple of days: http://home.comcast....roducts/waztree3.htm

- this is really looking promising!  :up:

wt3screen.gif
WazTree III is an explorer like file manager with a twist which allows simpler selection of drives via tabs.  Quick file viewer with easy to use spin button to select next or previous file to view.  Waztree III is eight programs in one along with many file tools.

Features:

* Eight modes: File Manager, Web Browser, File Viewer (as text or Binary-Hex), Text Editor, Image Viewer, Movie Viewer, Zip File Viewer, Audio Player (independent of mode)

* Built in Zip, UnZip, Zip to .Exe & Zip repair support along with many other FIle Tools such as convert between BMP, JPG, GIF, WMF & TIF files, Create numbered files, Append file names etc..

* Email files from file manager or text from text editor.

* Search for files and text content.

* Synchronize Folders

* Calendar/clock create calendar file or print.

* Still access to DOS prompt (for us old timers)

* Built in CD player

* Create playlists from Audio Player

* Quick access to recent folders used and web Favorites

- all this in a "Beta 0.0"!!!  :o  http://home.comcast....roducts/waztree3.htm

@Zero3K, How well does it perform? - how 'bug-free' is it?  :tellme:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 03:42 AM by Curt »

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #222 on: March 15, 2008, 11:18 AM »
No crashes so far. But, it does flicker (refresh) more than it should.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #223 on: March 20, 2008, 05:37 AM »
hello

can anyone tell me IF any of the mentioned or other file managers are independent of explorer.exe?

I am not sure how file managers work

do they uses explorer.exe to get access to the folders and files and then displays the information with their own style?

do they use explorer.exe to perform its tasks? (eg copy, paste, etc)

or are they totaly independent of explorer.exe?

I am asking this, because I see very little or maybe zero difference between file managers and explorer.exe, when I compare the speed, system resources consumption, stability, etc

I love the interface of file managers, but I really need a more optimized, stable and fast file manager than explorer.exe, that will be able for example to open fast a dir with many subfolders, etc and not just to offer customized buttons and menus

thanks

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #224 on: March 20, 2008, 06:21 AM »
I tried to try WazTree III but it crashed all the time for me - I couldnt even use it long enough to understand the approach. Oh well.