ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Size of Download in Firefox??

<< < (2/3) > >>

Lashiec:
Indeed there's one. I knew there was one for Opera, and the Opera Wiki mentioned it was also available for Firefox and Internet Explorer as well. Well, it turned out that it didn't work with Firefox, but the page gave a link for the page hosting it. Again, the link was dead, but after some googling I found something that could be what are you looking for.

The extension in question is File Size (Statusbar), which shows the file size of the file you want to download in the status bar after you hover the mouse over the link to the file. A picture is better than 1,000 words.

f0dder:
That's pretty cool Lashiec!

I personally would prefer the "save as" box showing file size, because of old habits, but I guess this one is actually more convenient...

Ehtyar:
I have to say i would prefer the download box solution, for a couple of reasons.
1. Your browser already knows the size of the file when the download prompt appears, thus you need only get it to display the information.
2. Your browser is not making arbitrary get requests then closing the connection, just to see the headers.
3. This extension appears to be a little buggy in that it displays the size for links that do not appear beneath the cursor when your mouse is just moving over the page, not hovering above a link.

Thank you for your solution lash man, but if anyone else has a suggestion, please do not hesitate to post it.

Thanks, Ehtyar.

Ehtyar:
Well I'm afraid i just uninstalled the plugin. It was causing just far too many problems related to point two above. Ever since i installed it I've been having a lot of trouble with my forums, I'll explain why. The plugin finds the size of the data on the end of a href you're hovering over by requesting the page, caching the headers, then closing the connection. This creates major problems when the link reacts to being visited. It causes problems with links like "View new posts", "Search", and in particular "Logout". The "Logout" problem was what drove me to uninstall the plugin, as I was tired of being logged out from websites simply because i moved my mouse a little too slowly over a logout link.

Ehtyar.

Curt:
From your text, Ehtyar, I get the idea that you did not first install Extended Link Properties, though it is required before installing File Size Statusbar) ??

My version of this combination is working flawless.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version