topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: change cursor appearance  (Read 37686 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: change cursor appearance
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 03:32 PM »
I try to create a new cursor (I-Beam), with one cursor editor, but I cant find the exact center of the cursor

the center means this:

to place the cursor a bit right of the vertical line of T and (by clicking) move the caret to the right, and then place the cursor a bit left of the vertical line of T and (by clicking) move the caret to the left

the same goes with the horizontal center as well, with the up/down edge to be the space between one line and its below line

EDIT: I suppose the best way is to edit the default IBeam of windows, but I cant find the file, anyone knows it?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 05:06 PM by kalos »

thefritz_j

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2007, 09:28 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean by finding the center, or which white animated one you are referring to.  But my IBeam icons are in C:\WINDOWS\CURSORS\  and there's about 10 files that are i beams.  libeam.cur, beam_r.cur, etc.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2007, 10:13 AM »
mm none of them seem like the default IBeam

do you know which exactly is?

thefritz_j

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2007, 03:34 PM »
I'm not sure which file is the default I beam, but I think you are looking for cursor functionality that is not possible by changing the cursor.  You seem to want the editor to decide where to put your cursor if you click on the middle of a character. right? You click in the left "region" of a character you want the cursor to move left.  You click the right "region" of a character you want the cursor to move right.  Does that explain what you are looking for? 

The image used as the cursor won't change how the editor handles text selection, it could only help you click... more precisely, perhaps.  Sorry I I misunderstood your earlier posts. :-[

« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 03:40 PM by thefritz_j »

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2007, 09:52 PM »
You seem to want the editor to decide where to put your cursor if you click on the middle of a character. right?

no, this is not my intention

You click in the left "region" of a character you want the cursor to move left.  You click the right "region" of a character you want the cursor to move right.  Does that explain what you are looking for?

yes, this is what I want, and what IBeam does by default

the problem was that trying to create a new cursor with a cursor editor, resulted in a cursor that needed some "calibration", ie it didnt do the above (click on the left region of the character should place the cursor at the left of the character)

please remove the .txt extension from the below:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 09:58 PM by kalos »

thefritz_j

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2007, 09:54 AM »
Okay, I think I know what happened, maybe you didn't set the "hot spot"?  Try these!

I made an animated one because I kept loosing the little dot.  So now it changes color just a little bit.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2007, 04:16 AM »
no it doesnt work

if you see its not centered at all

can you post me please the original IBeam file

thanks