topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:33 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newest version notes  (Read 5503 times)

mikej

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Newest version notes
« on: September 10, 2007, 08:14 PM »
For some time now, I have been trying to find a replacement for snagit. I think it's bloated and loath the "profile" system (try to change one simple setting like file naming for 10 profiles, what a PITA). I tried SC for a few weeks awhile back, liked it, but found some problems so I stuck with Snagit. When I heard of your latest update, I was thrilled and hoped I could finally dump Snagit. But it's not to be yet.  Here are some issues I still have on WinXP

1) When selecting from tray menu, the selected menu text is left on the screenshot - see screenshot002

2) "delete object" in editor objects menu is always grayed out, can't figure for life of me how to get it working. I click on object, move it around to make sure it's selected, but still grayed out.

3) undo and object selection are still poorly implemented

4) cursor "nudge" was (I think I read) fixed but still doesn't work here ... this is really annoying, especially due to reluctance to add a "magnifier" in region select mode.

5) "magnifier" in region select mode (this has been discussed, but I still push for it in case one day you change your mind ...)

6) the "hidden" selection modes under "edit" - why no toolbar button with "multiple choice" like the "resize image" button

But even after trying every other screenshot capture program on the planet, at least I come back to Snagit #1 and SC #2. I'm hoping that some day that can be reversed.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Newest version notes
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 02:14 AM »

1) When selecting from tray menu, the selected menu text is left on the screenshot - see screenshot002

yep, this is a known problem i will fix in next version if i can remember -- doesn't happen with hotkey trigger.

2) "delete object" in editor objects menu is always grayed out,

i'll check into this, as you probably know you can use delete key but yes the edit menu needs to work too.

3) undo and object selection are still poorly implemented
undo for object is not great, i admin, i'll see what i can do.  ps. if you are in non-object mode and want to select an object you probably know this but if you dont, you can either double click an object to switch into object mode and select it, or press the object button (arrow with O on toolbar) to switch into object select mode.

4) cursor "nudge" was (I think I read) fixed but still doesn't work here
it works in non-object mode on region size and position -- looks like i need to add it now to object manipulation mode.  good idea

6) the "hidden" selection modes under "edit" - why no toolbar button with "multiple choice" like the "resize image" button

good idea, i'll add it.

mikej

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 04:22 PM »
as you probably know you can use delete key
actually I forgot that, I rarely use keyboard shortcuts for very reason, terrible memory. Out of sight, out of mind. Well, usually out of mind anyway.

it works in non-object mode on region size and position -- looks like i need to add it now to object manipulation mode.  good idea
I should clarify. The "object nudge" works ok - I can move objects with cursor keys. I can move region areas with cursor keys. It's the crosshair nudge when selecting the region that is missing. Like when I want to crop an area right above a line, it's hard to get my mouse to select the exact spot on the magnifier I want. I believe it was implemented in Fastone for example, but now I`m not sure. Maybe I`m just imagining a feature that doesn't exist.

Everything else, sounds good. Any planned eta or just winging it?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 04:39 PM »
ah.. crosshair nudge.. interesting idea.. hadn't even occured to me.  i'll look into it.

ps. after you select you can nudge the selection left and right and grow it left and right (or expand from center), using the alt/ctrl/shift modifiers with cursor keys.

mikej

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 05:23 PM »
way off topic Mouser, but I just noticed your post count - 13,310 - mind boggling. I`ve no idea how you answer 13,000 posts AND do what you say you'll do in the those posts.

I`ll check into where I`ve seen that crosshair nudge before, I don't think I`m crazy, but I`ve used so many ...

mikej

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 05:50 PM »
I`ll check into where I`ve seen that crosshair nudge before, I don't think I`m crazy, but I`ve used so many ...

yeah, Faststone is what I was thinking of, but not in the editor as first thought. It's done in the region select capture mode, in combination with the uh-hum, magnifier, so I guess it's not really relevant to the editor screen. Unless it gives you a brainstorm idea and you can put it there, it would be nice for the pixel vision challenged.