topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA - Webpage archiving  (Read 58197 times)

kfitting

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA - Webpage archiving
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2011, 05:48 PM »
Anybody have information on the status of cyberarticle?  Last update was Feb 2010, blog hasnt been updated since aug 2009.

Or, any other similar software?  I'd really like to be able to archive/catalog webpages and pdfs.  I have Local Website Archive, but there are no tags/keywording and the author is not planning on doing anything for multi-page saving (per email a year or so ago).  I'm impressed by what I see in Cyberarticle, just not sure about longevity.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 05:52 PM by kfitting »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 02:38 PM »
Or, any other similar software?  I'd really like to be able to archive/catalog webpages and pdfs.

For Web pages (but not PDF), would the "site grabber" features found in some download managers suit you?  E.g. from the Grabber Help of Internet Download Manager (IDM):

The site grabber feature of Internet Download Manager not only lets you download required files that are specified with filters, for example all pictures from a web site, or all audio files from a web site, but it also lets you download subsets of web sites, or complete web sites for mirroring or offline browsing.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2011, 05:30 AM »
This might be a bit off-topic, but it might help.
I can recommend the FF add-on Scrapbook for personal browse-archiving of those pages you want to keep - and their files and nested sub-sections (if you want them).
For example, I have just copied this discussion thread with a single copy command.

The discussion thread runs over two "pages", but I enabled the FF add-on AP (AutoPage) before I made the copy. AP makes the pages appear as a single continuous flow of pages, with separation gaps between each "page".

The nice thing about the Scrapbook saved pages is that the folders where they reside on your disk can be indexed by WS (Windows Search), so that they then become integrated into your client-based information repository. If you have an image indexing tool scanning the same folders, then the images from the saved web pages can all be included in your image database as well. It's surprising what Scrapbook sometimes captures that you never saw on reading the original page.