ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ReNamer: The best freeware file renamer? (yes says cybernetnews.com)

<< < (9/24) > >>

Curt:
It's very similar in flexrename  8) -iphigenie (September 12, 2007, 08:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, iphigenie (and PhilB66). The FlexRename's GUI is not as overwhelming as the Bulk thing's, but I might choke on the regular expressions, despite all the presets.

iphigenie:
Wow, fame at last!

Hmm, it never occured to me that sequential operations were not supported - you have to go to the advanced mode, you cannot queue 2 simple presets. That's a very good point, and I guess it shows the author is so familiar with the advanced mode options he couldnt imagine some people would not be comfortable to have to switch to that mode to do simple things like -001. (I have fallen in traps like that when writing web applications - expecting people to use the advanced search etc.)

Curt: the advantage of the live preview is that you can figure it out and get it wrong 12 times in 20 seconds and still not have lost too much time.

zridling:
I have to agree with a few others that Bulk Rename Utility is both the most powerful and easiest to use (for me). The UI is cluttered for good reason — it's all right there in front of you, and once you stare at it for a couple of minutes it makes sense (each function is labeled and numbered). No tabs, no backdoors, no subdialogs, just one level, and BAM! you're done. Makes it easy to save any renaming profile, and it's donationware, comes in Unicode, and 64-bit versions.

I considered and then rejected doing a meta-review of renamers a year ago because there were so many, several of them very, very good, and most of them useful. But their UI's varied so much among each other, I soon saw it became a matter of personal preference; often, simply what you were accustomed to using. Best thing is, the high-end file managers like XYplorer and DOpus include extensive renaming abilities if you don't use one of these utilities.

Curt:
... the advantage of the live preview is that you can figure it out and get it wrong 12 times in 20 seconds and still not have lost too much time. -iphigenie (September 13, 2007, 04:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Very reassuring feature!

rjbull:
Ryan over at cybernetnews.com has a post up on his favorite file renamer, called appropriately, ReNamer.
-mouser (September 09, 2007, 07:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Version 5.05 of this program, Denis Kozlov's ReNamer, is now out, dated 17th Sept. 2007.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version