ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Leveraging Aamzon's Servers for your own Website

<< < (2/2)

40hz:
For some reason I do not find Amazon service to be cheap. If you have couple gb to backup sure it is cheap. For people like me who like to back up more than couple gb it is not that cheap. And their pricing scheme just makes it more confusing. For example I may need to transfer between 1 to 20 gb of data (mainly upload). So not knowing how much I need to pay monthly makes it unusable for me. I personally prefer fixed price.

Maybe someone can explain  better why I should use s3 over others for me :)

-kartal (July 22, 2008, 01:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

The S3 service is more geared towards storing and serving files rather than acting as backup solution - although it can be used for that as well. If you are hosting large media files (photos, videos, ISO images, etc.) on your webhost account you can run up a lot of byte traffic.

You can also easily exceed your allowed bandwidth if anything on your site gets popular or you're pwned by one of the social sites. Happened to an acquaintance of mine after a shareware product she created got a glowing write up on three ultra-popular blogs.

If you're lucky, you'll get shut down by your ISP for exceeding your bandwidth allowance. If you're unlucky, you'll stay up and then get hit with high surcharges. If you have your own server and T1, you run a very good chance of crashing. S3 lets you run your site like you always do - but it serves selected objects from Amazon's infrastructure instead of your own host.

There's a very good example scenario if you'll take a look at the second link in the original post. I've repeated it here:

http://nerdbusiness.com/blog/how-create-infinite-bandwidth-machine-amazon-s3

I can't really say much about price since everybody's purse is a different size. From my perspective (i.e. US-based prices + no kids in school  ;)) their pricing structure seems reasonable. But that's just me.

Hope that helps :)

40hz:
This just in: you can now monitor the status of the Amazon cloud from your browser courtesy of Hyperic CloudStatus.

From the website:

CloudStatus Provides Free, Real-Time Performance Information for Amazon Web Services

Velocity Conference—San Francisco, Calif.—June 23, 2008 – Open source web infrastructure management provider Hyperic Inc., (Velocity Booth #6), today launched the beta of Hyperic CloudStatus, the first service to provide an independent view of the health and performance of the most popular cloud on the Internet, Amazon Web Services (AWS). The new service gives businesses that use the cloud the perspective they need to determine the cause of performance changes in their cloud-based web applications. CloudStatus beta is a free service built on the Hyperic HQ management platform and will expand to include additional cloud providers this summer. Read More

http://www.hyperic.com/news/releases/06_23_2008-cloudstatus.html
--- End quote ---

See it in action from this link:

http://cloudstatus.com/

Renegade:
Amazon makes sense when you start getting into very high bandwidth usage. For most people, it's ok, but certainly not necessary. Their pricing gets better the more you use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version