Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 21, 2014, 03:09:47 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: ReNamer: The best freeware file renamer? (yes says cybernetnews.com)  (Read 48532 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: September 09, 2007, 07:37:32 AM »

Ryan over at cybernetnews.com has a post up on his favorite file renamer, called appropriately, ReNamer.

I must admit it looks quite compelling, with a simple clean interface that supports chaining of operations and a nice preview window.

--> However, looking at the screenshots I worry that it might be a little low on renaming options compared to some others..

Is it the best? How does it stack up against the shareware competition?
I don't know the answer to that, but there are a few long threads on the DonationCoder forum discussing renamer tools that you might want to check out if you are in the market for a renamer:

Anyone who has tried ReNamer want to chime in with a better replacement?

The cybernetnews.com blog post is here: http://cybernetnews.com/2...e-best-free-file-renamer/
And ReNamer website here: http://www.den4b.com/downloads.php?project=ReNamer

ps.
Ryan over at Cybernetnews as been absolutely on fire lately, with tons of great posts coming out every days it seems -- I don't know how he's keeping up this pace but it's truly becoming a daily must-read.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 07:42:35 AM by mouser » Logged
yksyks
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 08:08:02 AM »

My favorite is PFrank (http://www3.telus.net/pfrank). With the regular expressions you just can do anything...
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 08:11:03 AM »

PFrank needs a website intervention.  Grin
yksyks
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 08:15:47 AM »

You're right. It's a pity. But the application itself is very well done. Worth trying, unless you hate regex!  tongue
TucknDar
Charter Member

Advanced coder of Nowt

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 08:29:52 AM »

PFRANK looks very good.

Personally I just use the internal rename tool in Total Commander, however I've use RenameMaster from www.joejoesoft.com as well a couple of times.

I might check out ReNamer, though I'll still mainly use TC
masu

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 09:52:44 AM »

my favorite is Bulk Rename Utility

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/

Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7
s2h
Supporting Member

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 09:57:16 AM »

I've been using Rename Master

http://www.joejoesoft.com/vcms/108/

Just looked through the manual for ReNamer.  Looks promising.  I'll give it a shot.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 10:07:09 AM by s2h » Logged
Lashiec

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 12:23:29 PM »

I tried ReNamer a while ago, and came up very impressed. The addition of the Pascal-like syntax is worth mentioning. I myself use a combination of various ones: xplorer² built-in functions for everyday use, jv16 PowerTools when you need some power and Mp3tag for audio files. Maybe I should opt for a all-in-one file renamer instead of juggling between three programs (after all, those three are going to stay in my computer for a while, well maybe xplorer² will get a timeout card soon... Wink) tellme
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 01:06:36 PM »

my favorite is Bulk Rename Utility

http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/

+1 for Bulk Rename Utility  Thmbsup I've tried a number of renamers (including PFrank, The Rename, Oscars Renamer, etc.) and BRU is by far the best, in my (ever so humble) opinion. Jim Wilsher, the developer is constantly tweaking it. He accepts donations so if you like the app, consider donating.

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 01:50:55 PM »

Rename Master for me also.
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 01:53:26 PM »

The Bulk Rename Utility interface looks a bit messy and overcrowded though :/

- carpe noctem
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 01:55:47 PM »

The Bulk Rename Utility interface looks a bit messy and overcrowded though :/

i agree - hence the use of Rename Master - it seemed the most intuitive to me.
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 02:04:18 PM »

I dunno... what I LIKE about BRU is that everything is right there in front of you. I actually find the interface to be extremely intuitive. It's one of its strengths in my (not so) humble opinion. Anyway, to each his or her own.

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
Lashiec

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 02:07:50 PM »

To tell you the truth, one of the reasons ReNamer is a bit more appealling than the other options is the interface is well designed. Browsing through the other options shows either a overload of tabs or checkboxes, or too much cascading menus (PFrank). Perhaps the other one which has a decent interface design is Flash Renamer, another favourite around here.

(Hmmm, tabs overload reminds me of something...)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 07:35:21 AM by Lashiec » Logged
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 02:11:02 PM »

(Hmmm, tabs overload reminds me of something...)
]

Your webbrowser at the moment?  tongue

I agree WRT tabs and checkboxes. I guess I'm a victim of being so used to BRU that I am oblivious to its shortcomings... At any rate, I am familiar enough with its interface that I just check off what I want and off I go!

Lashiec

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 02:13:23 PM »

You'll soon discover it. My browser is nothing compared with some of the things you'll see Grin
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 09:26:57 AM »

One more vote for BRU. There hasn't been any renaming task it hasn't been able to acomplish. Also, the live preview is VERY useful.

Note: i haven't tried many, but DOpus' internal renaming utility isn't too bad, and oscar's with vim is also quite acceptable.

noutters
Charter Member

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 12:43:08 PM »

:-*My favorite renamer is the freeware LupasRename. It's portable, powerful and simple to use thanks to a well designed interface.
Unfortunately, it is not developed since april 2005. That is not a concern since the code is well polished and the options cover most of a regular user needs.

Check it at http://rename.lupasfreeware.org/

Cheers Thmbsup
katykaty
Supporting Member

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 02:05:02 PM »

I'm really happy with ReNamer.  thumbs up

Whoever designed the user interface for Bulk Rename Utility shouldn't be allowed near computers  ohmy
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 05:24:08 PM »

I think I've tried them all!

my favorites :

Bulk Rename Utility (I like BRU's UI by the way. It's just a matter of getting used to it.)
Flash Renamer (UI is more sexy, I admit)

I use both, extensively.
I usually prefer BRU (when I have to rename 1000s of files), but I enjoy Flash Renamer better for presets and the ability to save batches of complex regex renaming operations. Indispensable. (Is it only me or is it much harder to do that with BRU?)
Anyway : both are extremely powerful, quick and not too resource hungry.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 12:48:26 AM by Armando » Logged

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 05:33:44 PM »

Also, the live preview is VERY useful.
Yes... Also... Not sure but I think that this is one reason I didn't stick to Rename Master, and why I prefer Bru and Flash renamer

"I suppose it can be said that I'm an absent-minded driver. It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand, I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it."
Glenn Gould
iphigenie
Supporting Member

curiosity FTW!

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 10:26:39 AM »

My favorite is flexRenamer - that is real live preview!!!

I think the site is in japanese and I can't find it this minute, but the program is very nice

* simple precanned actions
* can do files or folders, recursive as well
* advanced options supporting supports regular expressions, translation mapping, and normal windows style wildcard
* can use attributes as part of the rename
* can use tmetainformation for certain types of files (music tags, exif and iptc for images, html meta tags and office meta tags)
* instant preview of the effect

The last one took the cookie for me - it is instant (although tag rename can take 3-4 seconds) even on very large trees (10'000 images, say) and means you can figure out your regexp and refine etc.  In one of my previous jobs this program meant that our designers were able to rename/renumber large number of images coming from clients in minutes, without having to involve the techies Wink

Should do a mini review to show all the options

EDIT: found the link in the "about flexible renamer" http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA014830/FlexRena/
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 10:36:26 AM by iphigenie » Logged
Armando
Charter Member

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 10:42:58 AM »

My favorite is flexRenamer - that is real live preview!!!

I think the site is in japanese and I can't find it this minute, but the program is very nice

* simple precanned actions
* can do files or folders, recursive as well
* advanced options supporting supports regular expressions, translation mapping, and normal windows style wildcard
* can use attributes as part of the rename
* can use tmetainformation for certain types of files (music tags, exif and iptc for images, html meta tags and office meta tags)
* instant preview of the effect

The last one took the cookie for me - it is instant (although tag rename can take 3-4 seconds) even on very large trees (10'000 images, say) and means you can figure out your regexp and refine etc.  In one of my previous jobs this program meant that our designers were able to rename/renumber large number of images coming from clients in minutes, without having to involve the techies Wink

Should do a mini review to show all the options

EDIT: found the link in the "about flexible renamer" http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA014830/FlexRena/

Yes! a good one too!!

Glenn Gould
PhilB66
Supporting Member

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 10:47:17 AM »

Here's a link to Flexible Renamer's English page. Looks like development ceased in 2003.
PhilB66
Supporting Member

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »

Came across another interesting tool - ARen. Selected features:

- Undo functionality
- Real time preview
- MP3/ID3 renaming
- Image renaming
- Thumbnail view
- Supports both files and folders
- Several renaming methods
- Use multiple method at once

* 2007-09-12_003557.jpg (291.32 KB, 983x713 - viewed 402 times.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.055s | Server load: 0.07 ]