ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

current tasks/windows switchers solutions

(1/6) > >>

Armando:
I’ve approached this (small but annoying) problem in this thread, and there also... Please let me approach it differently here (don't worry, Ken, I'm not trying to compete with world hunger here  ;) )…

One problem that does not seem to be very well addressed by current windows/task switchers solutions (correct me if I’m wrong!) is the difficulty to work with multiple windows (let's say more than 10) of the same application AND... with similar names.

Exposé and alike solutions work well when you only have a few pretty different windows (easily and rapidly differentiated by their colors, shapes, icons...) . But If one creates multiple new windows of the SAME document in MS Word (to work on different parts of it "at once"), or if one work on multiple spread sheets sharing similar names an content, it can be very hard to find them rapidly and to work without headaches (... especially on a small screen). Exposé, making the thumbs bigger, organizing stuff on the task bar (eg : using taskbar shuffle), etc., don't seem to really solve that problem.

IMO, one thing that could solve the problem – (for me at least) and I'm a bit repeating what I already said elsewhere -- would be to be able to rename windows as one see fit (BUT the renaming solutions that I've tried don't work in certain situations -- e.g. : multiple windows or views of the same document), and use something like farr to swiftly jump from one to another!

But maybe there are already solutions (or possible solutions) for similar problems… Anybody?

PhilB66:
A few more programs for you to try...

1. WinExposé
2. Visual Tooltip
3. TopDesk
4. Madotate (Japanese) --> English version + Screenshots
5. ThumbWin (Japanese) --> Download page (Tool comes with an English language file)

PhilB66:
Oh, Microsoft's Instant Viewer might do what you want... but it comes with Intellipoint software.

Darwin:
This may or not help (and I've *just* finished uninstalling ReflexVision!) In Reflex Vision is the fact that you can hit a function key (I *believe* it is f10 to have the view switch to windows from a particular app (so all word documents or all web browsing windows, etc.). I used it in the past and thought it worked pretty well. I had it configured to display high quality images with live preview... Idle it used about 20MB RAM/27MB VM and when previewing about 40MB RAM and 27MB VM.

YMMV.

Armando:
Thanks everybody, for all these links!
Actually, Matodate is the only application I didn't know. But... it's not going to work out.
I've trialed/tried all the others in the past. They don't really solve the problem I'm talking about : switching easily between many many windows belonging to the same application AND sharing similar names.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version