ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Any free web counters recommendations?

<< < (2/2)

mouser:
interesting blog today complaining about nedstats development:
http://www.cynical-c.com/

The company didn't change a single thing in the code on my site. It instead took advantage of a piece of code Nedstat was already using. My good buddy, computer engineer Tom tracked down how things worked. Basically, Nedstat used a few lines of Javascript that did one thing, and Webstats4u turned them around to do another. The lines previous were used to increase the counter. Every time the page was hit, the script would ping Nedstat's server and tell it to bump the various counts by one.

Under the new regime, the script did a little more. Like sticking "Meet New Girls" on top of my page in large text. When the script got back to Webstats4u, it pinged a different script, not just increasng the counter but also running a program, Tom reported. This program handled a 48-hour cookie (mmmm, 48-hour cookie). If you hadn't hit a Webstats4u-using site in the previous 48 hours, the program hit another couple Javascript files, more programs, at a site called falkag.net. "A prime purveyor of Web advertising, including popups."
--- End quote ---

Mark0:
Do you have access to your raw logs files from the server?
-Veign (September 23, 2005, 07:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
Unfortunately no.

Bye!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version