topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Bad forum designs  (Read 3998 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Bad forum designs
« on: September 12, 2007, 03:49 PM »
Man, I am really sick of the crappy forum designs I keep running into.  It makes it such a pain to find information your looking for.

Musicplayer forum:
http://forums.musicplayer.com
Great place for information about pianos and keyboards.  Lots of helpful, knowledgeable people there.  But their forum design is beyond crappy, and get this, the maximum date range you can search through is 6 months!  You can't pick any range larger than 6 months to search through.  Good luck finding anything from a few years back!  So obnoxious.

Hydrogenaudio forums:
Otherwise known as the foobar forum.  Good grief, this gets my vote for the worst design ever.  I challenge you to find ANYTHING using their search.  The search result will give you a link to a thread, and that's it.  So if the thread is 100 pages long, and you're looking for a specific word/phrase, well, good luck.  You have to sift through all the pages and find it.

Learnjazzpiano.com:
A fantastic group of people who give probably the best piano jazz advice anywhere on the web.  Unfortunately, they have the oddest forum design you've ever encountered.  First of all, you never stayed logged in for more than 10 minutes.  You have to keep relogging in all the freakin day long.  Second of all, maybe it's me, but their search engine doesn't really work all that well.  The organization of the threads is chaos (rooms, halls, it's just weird).

I love the DC forum design.  It's the best I've seen anywhere, there isn't even a close second.  you can't beat it's highlighted, previewed search results.  Thanks mouser.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Bad forum designs
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 04:15 PM »
I hate the Sourceforge forum. I don't understand why so many OSS developers write such great software and then don't get at least a half decent forum going. the SF forum just doesn't cut it

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Bad forum designs
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 04:20 PM »
Oh yeah, forgot about that one.  The sourceforge forums are pretty much useless.