topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Realtime Screencasting Software  (Read 21677 times)

ghacks

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Realtime Screencasting Software
« on: September 06, 2007, 11:15 AM »
Hi,

I'm desperately looking for a software that makes it possible to work with a few people over net and look at one of the computers and possibly even interact there as well. The reason I'm looking for this is that I work with a friend on a new website project and a lot of coding has to be done. We live far apart which means that it would be nice to work on one pc together somehow.

Do you know of a software that is able to do that ?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Realtime Screencasting Software
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 11:20 AM »
There are quite a few alternatives for this kind of thing.
AFAIK, this is called collaborative software. The wikipedia keeps a (quite large) list of this kind of software: http://en.wikipedia....llaborative_software.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 11:25 AM »
There are actually a lot of programs for this (and some built-in features in windows xp and later).
But you won't find them listed under "realtime screencasting".

What jgp sited is one class of programs to look at, although those tend to be specific PROGRAMS that you use with others.  Rather than generically sharing control or display of a PC (regardless of what software is running on it).

For that, you might want to look at remote pc control type programs.  Here's one thread on them:
https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=3576.0

Most of the ones i know about those are for 1 user controlling a pc at a time.. What you want is more interesting, which is multiple users watching and controlling a pc.  I look forward to hearing what others find, but at least that thread will give you some sites to look at.

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 01:24 PM »
I use www.webex.com which is ideal for what you want

There are loads of alternatives too like

www.gotomeeting.com/
www.powwownow.co.uk

tabletguy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 07:35 AM »
Looks like a good candidate for a "comprehensive review". I'd like to see that (but don't have the time to produce it).

I've used this one: http://www.elluminate.com
and http://www.logmein.com (which is remote control, but it means two people can collaborate on one computer)

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 11:07 AM »
Just came across this: http://www.remote.cz/en/. Maybe this could help, but I don't have any experience with it.

From the website:

The server runs on the remote computer, waiting for requests from client. You can connect more users to the server.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 11:22 AM by yksyks »

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 08:56 AM »
Do any of these programs/services allow one person (me) to serve as the host but which do NOT require the guests (everyone else) to download software or register on a website to participate? 

The purpose is so that they can view my desktop while I demo software, but avoid the hassle of having them install software or register to use it.

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 09:50 AM »
LogMeIn requires just a browser and installing small ActiveX or Java component. In the paid "Pro" version you can invite a guest, see details at https://secure.logme.../faq.asp#account-03a. I'm afraid just one at a time, though.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 04:50 PM by yksyks »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 03:39 PM »
Do any of these programs/services allow one person (me) to serve as the host but which do NOT require the guests (everyone else) to download software or register on a website to participate? 

The purpose is so that they can view my desktop while I demo software, but avoid the hassle of having them install software or register to use it.

BitsDujour is going to be offering a discount on something called "Online Desktop Presenter" (http://www.bitsdujou...index.aspx?review=15 and http://www.infonautics.ch/presenter/). 

I have not tried the software, so I'm guessing at how it works.  But from its description it looks like it simply automatically takes a screenshot every second or so and  posts it to a website.  The guests just go to a webpage that periodically refreshes the image.

If that's what's happening, then you'd get the requirement that no registration or client viewer installation is required.  The drawback would be that any quick screen changes or animation would be lost or not look good.  But if you're doing a powerpoint presentation (and don't put a lot of fancy transitions in it), it might work pretty well.

The nice thing about it is that all you need is a web server (and even there, Infonautics says "Use of free web space if no own web server is available", so I think you may not even need your own web server)

You'd have to rely on other things to support the clients being able to ask questions or such  For small groups, teleconference would work well.

Dr-Leech

• Joined in 2006
  • Psychedelic Coder
    • View Profile
    • site
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 07:01 PM »
Yugma is another great alternative, it's java based and includes recording (if you pay the subscription). We use it in the company to collaborate and also to display stuff to clients.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 11:01 PM »

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 10:07 PM »
Showmypc.com is another option.  All parties (hosts and guests) must download the software.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 10:36 AM »
Ken just pointed me to this short article that came out today related to this subject:

http://www.download....-12.html?tag=blogHed

Screenshot - 9_12_2007 , 10_30_30 AM_thumb.png

NotesTracker

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 07:18 PM »
There's also IBM's Lotus Sametime Unyte, which has a free version plus a paid version that's quite inexpensive (starting at around US $30 per year, which is less than some of the others charge per month). It might not be quite not what you want, but take a look anyhow. It integrates very nicely with Skype, for sending out session invitations (as well of course as voice and chat). See http://www.unyte.net/ for information. Also see http://www-03.ibm.co...essrelease/22210.wss for IBM's press release of August 2007, when they acquired the original developers WebDialogs. I've recently signed up for the $30 option plus a new broadband cable plan having 1 Mbps upload, and find that Lotus Sametime Unyte performs quite well at this upload speed. (None of these products  seem to work very well at 256 Kbps or even 512 Kbps upload speed.) ... Cheers, Tony Austin.

Vad1959

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 05:31 AM »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 06:07 PM »

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 09:22 AM »
In short, the answer is no.  I did see a screencast from a vendor that used a microsoft product that appeared to not require any downloads, but it did require you already have Microsoft Media Player installed. (Unfortunately I don't know the name of the product that they used.) I think your best bet is something like (dare I suggest it *shudder*) Webex for your situation.  I like others better, but Webex is the best supported for multi-watching environments.

I like that Sametime information.  At work we use Lotus products, including Sametime.  It is the one tool in the Lotus arsenal that is as good or better than the competition in my opinion.  I am not sure what differences this Unyte thing brings, but if it is as good or better than the corporate Sametime, I would have no problems recommending it for most people and uses.  (for those who don't know, Sametime is the IM client that Lotus Notes uses, but it allows for a lot more functionality including screencasting and screensharing sessions.)  Logmein, Crossloop, VNC, etc. are all the same in that they only allow one to one computer connections (not one to many) - at least in their common product offerings.  Logmein in particular may have a screencasting option now - I heard they were looking into it anyway.