ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help needed (again): Miro "destroyed" all my videos!

<< < (3/7) > >>

Curt:
Hmmm. This may very well all have been because my XP is unstable, but steeladept came the closest without being near:

open Explorer .. and .. go to Tools>Folder Options>File Types and browse down to your file extension (.avi for example). .. click on the file extention and in the box below, click on the "Change" button by "Opens With:" .. Now just browse to the application executable that you want to open that file type with and it is associated.
--- End quote ---

- because, I did all that, which steeladept said, only: it didn't help! But then I clicked Reset, and wow!! All file types were changed back to the right types again!

Edit: it would have been a problem if I didn't first changed some file type, because then there would have been no "reset" button! So I actually had to do it this "wrong" way, in order to be able to do it the right way! Now that doesn't sound too sane, does it.

The correct answer may be unknown, but the problem is solved, so who cares!

Thanks a lot, all of you!

Curt:
er selv norsk -Dirhael (September 06, 2007, 12:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Jatak Øjvind  :D

Thanks for being around!  :up:

Curt:
Curt: you mean it changed the extension of the file from .avi to .miro.1??
-jgpaiva (September 06, 2007, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, jgpaiva, that was the strange point. The extension was right, but the description was wrong. In the Explorer column "type", any divx video is listed as a "divx video file". Any avi file should be listed "avi file", but was described as a miro.1 type.

But who cares, now, the problem has been solved.

jgpaiva:
No, jgpaiva, that was the strange point. The extension was right, but the description was wrong. In the Explorer column "type", any divx video is listed as a "divx video file". Any avi file should be listed "avi file", but was described as a miro.1 type.
-Curt (September 06, 2007, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I see. Ok. Well, i'm glad it's solved, then :P

Dirhael:
er selv norsk -Dirhael (September 06, 2007, 12:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Jatak Øjvind  :D

Thanks for being around!  :up:
-Curt (September 06, 2007, 12:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hey, how'd you know my name? Help needed (again): Miro "destroyed" all my videos!
...it's actually "Øyvind", but very close. Not that it matters though ;)

I did  actually install Miro to see if this would happen to me as well (oh the joys of having installed VMware), but I did not encounter any problems. By the sound of it, I'd guess you somehow came over a random bug in the installer...and that's one of the reasons I never let applications take over my file extensions during installation. Should you want to protect yourself agains problems such as this in the future, you could take a look at installing WinPatrol 2007 or Spyware Terminator and just lock the file extensions until you're done installing. That way, it should be impossible that it could mess up your system this way again :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version